Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New Eggs

Here are a few of the latest eggs.  This is the first time I have tried using a grey for the base and I really like how the purple speckles thin out into clear and push the grey away making larger nesting places for themselves.  There are also subtle speckles of a cream mixed in there.  And I also like the raku on the grey egg.  These will all be etched later when they have friends to jump in the etching solution with them.  Holly, what do you think?  Should I make more of these or keep working on other combos?

Here are some of the other special requests Lorelei had me make before she left on Sunday.  I always love how encased beads look...everything is magnified under the layers of clear.

I will be doing a post later this week featuring jewelry artists who use my beads.  If you would like to be included, please email me with a link to pictures I may use and if you have a preference for me linking to your blog or etsy shop.  I would be happy to do this on a regular/weekly basis, but you guys need to give me a heads up that you're creating.  :)  This is partially for selfish reasons because I LOVE seeing what happens to my beads when they grow up and I'm just nosy like that.  But also because I would love for others to see what you are designing, help throw extra traffic by way of your shop or blog.  

Christmas is only four months away, folks!  Let's get ideas out there for our loved ones of what they could be buying for you!  I know I have family and friends who snoop out other shops that use my beads to find jewelry they would like to wear and they purchase what they love and can afford.  It puts a big silly grin on my face anytime I hear back from someone wearing my jewelry or jewelry made by others using my beads that they wear it all the time or they get compliments on the piece or it just makes them feel good about themselves to wear it (silly grins also translate into run-on sentences).

Last night, Cindy commented that she thinks I'm an amazing artist (in addition to saying other completely sweet things that made me feel special in a deep sigh kind of way).  This made me pause.  I don't really think of myself as an artist.  Yes, I make art beads.  But artist isn't really a role I think of myself in (funny, because I look at my peers who make art beads and consider them ALL to be artists).  It is only when I hear back from others, either with comments on the beads or my jewelry, that I think that what I have created might not be so ordinary.  That my work might be considered artistic.  And that I'm an artist.  Thank you Cindy, for sending me to bed with a smile on my face!

14 comments:

Higgins Design Studio said...

The Eggs are fabulous just as they are... pretty even not etched. I also love the encased beads... like my very own Kelley's Original Worry Stone!
I too have troubles thinking of myself as artistic... I tend to fall back onto words like creative. But you are a true glass artisan!
I plan to make that Worry Stone into a necklace some day... when the right beads tell me they want to pair up with such a GORGEOUS focal! For now... I carry it with me.

Lorelei Eurto said...

those eggs- prettiest eggs ever!! I love the shinyness!! yea i made that word up.
love the encased beads! Those came out so great! Perfect COLORS!!!

Courtney Breul said...

Thanks for both blogs, yesterday and today! I love the eggs like they are, as Lorelei said "the shinyness!" Love reading what you have to say and love drooling over your beads. Yes, you are an amazing artist!

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I agree with Lorelei. Your egg beads just get prettier and prettier! You are an artist, Kelley, and way to go for accepting the compliment instead of throwing it back. You've got a gift, girl!

Lori P said...

Heck yeah, you're an artist. You do what an artist does, right? And you do it well. You are an artist.

I agree. I love the shiny-ness. P.S. I'm stealing my psycho cat picture. Best one I've ever seen of her. :)

Unknown said...

I have a blogger award for you over at http://copperpennydesigns.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Penny

Nicki said...

Cindy has got a BA in making people smile with leaving comments on their blogs I think :)
You are totally an artist - and I am waiting for the day that you will make beads that I do NOT like. These grey eggs are gorgeous - I love them unetched already, and these encased green ones are super special too.
And I have left you a note somewhere already, but I would love to be included in your post with my egg bracelet. If you like it enough to add it obviously....
Thanks

Mellisa said...

The top eggs are great shiny, step away from the etch!
I totally get what you said about being called an artist...I always take a pause when I'm referred to as one.

Silver Parrot said...

I officially dub thee Queen Egg Artist ;-) Love the new gray with purple - can't wait to see how it looks etched.

lunedreams said...

LOVE the eggs!! those three colors together are wonderful, i love the neutral gray background. the red and turquoise, and turquoise and lime encased beads are knockouts too! two of my fav combinations right now. i think if you make art, regardless of what kind, you are an artist. it's like being a baker. if you bake stuff, you're a baker. i think people often confuse calling themselves an "artist" with calling themselves an "artiste" (they're afraid of being vain); you're not claiming (necessarily!) that you're the second coming of Van Gogh, you just make art.

holly kellogg said...

lookin' great, kelley! if it's possible to get that cream to look less "gold" that would be nice....and definitely etch-i'm not a shiny girl!
truly lovely!

Karyn said...

Gorgeous eggs as always - they certainly do look different when not etched don't they - take on a whole new look. I have to admit I do love the etched look though.

Karyn

Tara P. said...

I agree that you're a great artist, Kelley, and that encased bead with the coral and turquoise - oh my goodness!

TesoriTrovati said...

Don't sell yourself short, darling. You ARE an ARTIST. You make beauty where there was only rods of glass with nothing more than a flame. Those same tools in other's hands would not produce the same. You have a vision and a passion and a gift. Trust it, share it, use it.
And I LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE the grey eggs. Those are my kind ;-)
Enjoy the day!
Erin

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails