Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday Randomness

It is Friday again already, can you believe it?  Another week down and now we are all healthy.  Maggie is off her antibiotics and painkillers.  Look, her face no longer has a bump the size of a plum growing out of it!  Poor girl had to have two roots drilled out that went bad long after the tooth had been removed.

Although we are still hitting the high temps like this (and this is in the shade!)...

I am fooled into thinking fall is just around the corner.  My willow is shedding her leaves by the dozens.

Her branches are becoming bare in spots.

Eggs?  Did somebody say eggs?  

I like the teal and purple mixed together.  I also like how the white pushes the grey out of the way, but it's not exactly looking like ivory speckles, is it?  So I will be trying another route and color combinations this weekend.  Because there will be torch time this weekend.  I'm due some free time!

Here we have a cute little egg...

However, it became a casualty during the cleaning/dremeling process.  I etched it anyway, just so I could show you all the color combination of speckles on the grey.  And also to show you what most of my bead casualties look like....the dremel touches upon a week spot in the glass close to the hole that likely would break if the bead was dropped several feet onto a hard surface or with extremely rough handling/wear.  While it makes me sad for beads to not survive the annealing and cleaning processes, I would much prefer it happen while they are still in my possession and not after they have flown to new homes.

This is a cool bug I saw on the nature trail last weekend when Lorelei was here.  I have never seen anything like it.  Anyone know what it is?  Tabitha?  :)

The bug then inspired some of these beads.  Will have to work on replicating the white on black spots.  Couldn't get any of my normally reactive white frits to form the dark brown rings like on the ivory beads.

We also saw this strange, fat-legged bug.  That's the real name, too.  Fat-legged bug.  I wonder if his antennae cause him headaches.

And now, what at least one of you (Mellisa) has been waiting for for weeks...Pictures of Little Horse.  He was making silly faces at me as if to say "Stop taking my picture already, Mom!"

Seriously, enough already.

This is getting boring.  I'm going to nap.

Ok, if I smile, will you please put the camera down and come rub my belly?  Please?

Hard to see that he has a real shoddy hair cut and how uneven it is, other than his spotted skin is showing through on his side.  This is what happens when the girl child 'helps' me with hair cuts! :D  Perhaps this weekend I will get to do the final touch up so he is more respectable.

And one last shot of all the grey eggs etched.  No shiny-ness here!

I know I said there was a giveaway coming soon for one of my blog followers, but soon is relative.  Maybe next week.  I need to finish updating my spreadsheet with all your names and links first before I can do the random number generator to find out who the lucky winner will be.

Ok folks, that's it for pics and not as much randomness as I thought I had in me.  I hope you all have a most excellent weekend!  We will be recovering from our first week back to elementary school and 6am alarm clocks.

12 comments:

Pearl and Pebble said...

Your babies are soooo adorable I can't stand it!!!! I love what's happening with your eggs. The one's on the right have such cool veining- they remind me of a cicada wing I just found. And that is a really really cool bug! The colors are fabulous. I hope he's a "good" bug and not a "bad" bug:)Are you puttin those pretty shiny beads in your shop, hmm?

Mellisa said...

Woo Hoo, LH pics!!! You know that there will always be at least one comment when you post them :) I don't think he looks too bad, with those temps he could probably care less as long as he's cooler! I'm going to not complain one bit about our cool (so far) summer.

I thought the eggs were great shiny but I actually like them even more etched. All your photos, bugs included, are awesome :)

TesoriTrovati said...

Makes me wish my life had room for a fur baby.
Love, LOVE, lurve those grey eggs. They make me happy in a rainy Monday sort of way.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Silver Parrot said...

Love the photos. To id the bug - go to www.whatsthatbug.com. They have a form you can fill out and attach the pic to and hit send and they will id it for you (especially if you say it's a kid who wants to know).

That's how Ryan and I id'd our giant spiders last year. Plus, it's a really cool site anyway. R loves to go on there just to look at all the bug pics.

Anonymous said...

I love the matte dove grey eggs! Sad to see the one that got chipped. And oh your babies - such handsomeness! Just want to cuddle up. Enjoy your weekend and one of these days I'm going to get one of them der eggs!

Barbara Bechtel said...

That's so neat to see pictures of the bead victims as well. I like learning about what goes into the lampworked eggs! They are truly lovely!

Is that a great pyrenees pup? He is adorable. Have you had one before. What is their personality like? Do they slobber?

Sorry, that was a lot of questions. I've taken an interest lately in Great Pyrenees....

Nicki said...

These eggs make me say... I want you guys. I only made one bracelet though - should probably start makign some more with your eggs, seems to work well. And then I would have some stuff for my etsy shop too.

Tara P. said...

The eggs look awesome as always! The etching just does so much for them!

Unknown said...

Awww Tari, if you want beads like these, I'll make ya new ones. Lorelei had me make these while she was here last weekend.

Mellisa, I've been promised beach weather when I head out to SD in November. Now you have me worried with a cool summer comment that I'm gonna be freezing! ;)

Thanks Erin, my husband often questions me if we really have the room in our lives for so many fur babies!

KJ, I'm emailing that website with the bug pic...thanks!!!

Barbara, Little Horse has a wonderfully sweet disposition. He IS a great pyrenees and is awesome not just with the kids, but also with the cats. We had a very rough first 6 months after rescuing him and helping him adjust to his new life (we're weaning him off of prozac now, if that tells you anything), but it has been worth it considering how he is now. He's small for his 1.5 years at 75 lbs. Most boys his age are 120+ lbs!

Nicki, I LOVE what you did with the first egg!!!

Thanks ladies! You all are so wonderful and I wish I knew you all in person :)

Lori P said...

Hope you have a marvelous weekend as well. We're slow getting started around here - as it should be. The photos are GORGEOUS, except for the temperature gauge. Feeling it. Not liking it. :P

Pretty Things said...

My son was in the room when I looked at your blog and he LOVED the bugs! I must admit, I did, too!

I hate the heat as well. It doesn't make me want to go out and torch. Nope nope.

Courtney Breul said...

I love your posts and beads!!!! I left something for you on my blog.

http://beadsbybreul.blogspot.com/2010/08/im-so-flattered-amazed-and-stunned.html

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails