Today is Veteran's Day in the states. A day we reflect on the sacrifices our service men and women have made for our country and their families. Both of my Grandpas were in the army and overseas in World War II. That experience placed hardships on their marriages and families. It changed their lives and outlook on life. They were both filled with their own quiet pride that they followed what was in their heart to serve and protect the freedoms of our country. That they did the right thing.
One of my cousins is married to an army man who was allowed to come home from Iraq just long enough to see his son born, but then missed the majority of the first twelve months of firsts. My best friend's Dad attained the rank of Colonel before retiring, but still acts as a consultant for the army on a part-time basis. Another friend is married to a man who had a tank roll over him in Iraq several years ago, but that hasn't diminished his spirit or desire to serve our country.
There are so many brave men and women who are compelled to join our armed forces. To fight for our freedoms when necessary and to protect our country and others. They do what I know I can not do. I could not make those sacrifices or spend so much time away from my family.
Saying "Thank you" to a soldier when I see one seems so inadequate. But it is about all I can say before my eyes well up in tears and a lump forms in my throat making it impossible for me to talk.
One of my cousins is married to an army man who was allowed to come home from Iraq just long enough to see his son born, but then missed the majority of the first twelve months of firsts. My best friend's Dad attained the rank of Colonel before retiring, but still acts as a consultant for the army on a part-time basis. Another friend is married to a man who had a tank roll over him in Iraq several years ago, but that hasn't diminished his spirit or desire to serve our country.
There are so many brave men and women who are compelled to join our armed forces. To fight for our freedoms when necessary and to protect our country and others. They do what I know I can not do. I could not make those sacrifices or spend so much time away from my family.
Saying "Thank you" to a soldier when I see one seems so inadequate. But it is about all I can say before my eyes well up in tears and a lump forms in my throat making it impossible for me to talk.
1 comment:
You said it so perfectly! Thank you!
Post a Comment