Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Amazed and Grounded

Last week when Etsy rolled out their new circles feature, I was amazed at the names of well known bead and jewelry artists adding me to their circles.  Big names.  Names of editors and contributors to the Art Bead Scene.  Names of successful artists.  Published artists.  Artists who teach and artists who are so well respected in this community.

I know I have been melting glass for five years now and I have been slowly working at building up my Etsy business over the last three years (or it will be three years in this upcoming February).  But I tend to keep my head down without looking up too much.  I feel small.  In spite of surpassing a major goal of 600 sales in my shop last month.  I feel small.  Every time I get an email notification that I made a sale, I'm surprised and delighted.  If Todd is at home, he is sure to hear me yelling at him "Honeys!  I just sold this set of beads!!!"  It's about as exciting as when I pop the kiln the morning after filling it up.  This hasn't gotten old.  I'm amazed when I see the number of people following my blog has gone up.  And I get a thrill out of that, too.

I am so very grateful for every one of my customers who helps support my addiction desire to play with fire.  And thankful for all of you who speak up and throw in your two cents or encouragement on this blog.  You guys rock!  You really do.  :)  And I'm amazed that somehow, I have ended up on Wikio's list of top jewelry making blogs and am surrounded by incredibly talented and successful company.  I don't know how the list is compiled or what criteria needs to be met, but I'm on there with a few people I have had the good fortune to meet in person and enjoyed their intellect, humor, talent and kindness.  Again, I feel small.  And wonder how I got here.

And just so you know I'm not getting too big for my britches over these things that amaze me and make me walk on clouds, I have friends who help keep me grounded and have no problem putting me in my place.  Like last week when my girl Tabitha had to ask if I had cleaned the light fixture or window sill in our entry way.  Because she has seen those two things and knows they are just disgraceful.  And isn't afraid to publicly point it out for me that I need to get off my toukis already.  Or laugh at me that I actually wore a dress over the weekend (because jeans are my uniform).  Or further laugh at how my body contorted as I tried to squeeze into tights and I wished I hadn't eaten so much Mississippi Mud Cake last month.  Tabitha is one of a select few friends who know me well and still love me.  Each one of them keeps me grounded.  I appreciate their honesty.  They let me be myself.  And they temper their harsher criticisms with kindness.  I couldn't ask for better friends.

Was I rambling?  I think I was rambling.  My friends won't have any problem telling me to shut up already.  I am expecting to catch some grief later today anyway because I still have the 57 beads I made on Sunday evening soaking in my kitchen sink and waiting to be cleaned.

4 comments:

Tabitha W. said...

i am crying i am laughing so hard! and if i didn't know us so well i'd say you have a rotten friend right there ;) can't wait to get a hug and introduce you to the ultimate southern comfort food, chicken & dumplings!

KristiBowmanDesign said...

I hear you Kelley lol!! I've had the same experience, oh my look who added me to their circle and they did it on their own. I didn't have to chase them down and beg them or anything lol!!

Higgins Design Studio said...

Isn't it nice to have wonderful, honest friends like Tabitha?
I am honored by each and every follower of my blog, I welcome their positive feedback.
I feel like I have a wonderful, special circle of friends out there in cyber-space... and some of them are not so far away IRL.

Erin Siegel said...

Your photos are gorgeous as always, Kelley! You are wonderful artist and bead maker in your own right! You are lovely, kind individual and You deserve all the success coming to you.

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails