Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Fess Up

How much do you hold your beads before you use them?  Thy Hand Hath Provided asked that question yesterday.  She is not a beader and has no idea how fanatical some of us are about holding beads and not letting go.

Do you keep beads in your pocket(s)?

Stash them in your purse for easy retrieval and quick glimpses throughout the day?

Anyone sleep with beads under their pillow?  Cindy L?  Yes, I'm calling you out! ;)

I admit I have purchased handmade beads that I know I will likely never make into jewelry.  I realize that is sad and I am doing a HUGE disservice to the beads.  But I can't help it.  I just need to have them on my desk where I can look at them all day while I work. 

And I almost always have one of my worry stones in my pocket that I can reach down and grab and hold onto.  The ridges or bumps on the one side keep my thumb busy, although I found the smooth/flat side more comforting.

13 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Kelley, I think you already know I have bowls of beads that I just can't part with. And not just my own. There is one of yours that I just keep looking at and holding because I love it! And, yep, I do have a bird that lives in my pocket. My children and husband have pocket beads too. I have a customer who buys beads just to have them. I am beginning to think that if you do not hoard at least one bead you are not normal.

Pearl and Pebble said...

It's so funny you mention sleeping with the bead under one's pillow because I was just thinking about that after reading your post the other day! I can't believe how absolutely normal (I know I say this all the time) I feel after listening to my beady blogger friends!

Bellesanbeaus said...

I think I am the "pied piper" of beads. I started out "normal" buying this bead and that one to make the infamous stash...then it all went astray...I think my beads told their buddies and they came over, then word got out I house beads and things got worse. Then I opened (don't remember doing this) a foster care for beads. Do I love them all? yes! Do they have a good home here? yes...do I need to learn some stitches and bead with them...oh yes! Have an awesome day...Beth

TesoriTrovati said...

I am a complete and utter hoarder of all things beady. If I had some of yours (don't worry, I will) I am sure they will sit there idly encouraging me to fondle them. But then I ultimately do send them out into the world. But it takes me time to let them go. I don't think it would be sad to leave them on your desk to gaze at. They are after all tiny works of art. We hang paintings on our wall. Why not make a shadow box to house your favorite mini works of art? That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the day! Erin

lunedreams said...

i carry them around in my bookbag for a few days after the packages come. i get my packages at work and they go in the bookbag but i need to leave them there for a while in case i need them at work. like, to look at again. in case i can't remember what they look like. then they sit on my japanese-style glass top work bench for a couple months, or longer, while i figure out what to do with them. staring at them helps. holding them and staring at them. holding them and staring into space. combining them with this and that and staring at them. holding them and watching TV, and then staring at them during the commercials. i would be afraid to put them under my pillow b/c i'm a restless sleeper and they would end up falling into the heat grate under the head of the bed and i'd never see them again. my pockets have holes so that's not an option. i also use my japanese-style glass top work bench as a coffee table, in front of the couch, where i always sit, in front of the TV, so i pretty much stare at them all the time.

lunedreams said...

p.s. i like your new super size banner!! that's a great photo.

DVArtist said...

OK so I have a room that just has beads in it that I have been collecting for 30 years. They will never go into bead art. Funny my friend and I were going through some of them yesterday.
Nicole/Beadwright

Anonymous said...

Kelley I just received the earrings you made in Thy Hand Hath Provided giveaway. They are beautiful! Thanks so much. I will definitely keep your beautiful beads in mind when I am thinking about gift ideas. Thanks again!
~Kim M

momster said...

i do exactly what lunedreams does - plus at my day desk job where i often have to ponder things to figure them out and/or fix them, i put the beads on my desk and look at them as i ponder, sometimes rearranging, sometimes just looking. it's incredibly therapeutic and i like to think it helps me figure the things out that i need to figure out!

who knew so many other people carry beads around! thanks for the post!

Unknown said...

I love the confirmations that I am not alone and the validation that this is normal behavior!

Kim, so glad your earrings arrived safely and that you like them :)

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

Oh, I am so an art bead hoarder! I have bins of art beads that I have collected over the years from selling at bead shows and getting into trouble on my "bathroom trips" where a great artist is en-route, and I impulse buy...

I love to pull them out and look at them all. The color combinations and textures within patterns are so inspirational. Much more functional like that to me than they would be as jewelry!

Cindy ~ said...

BAH HA!!! I missed this - work, work got in the way.

Hmmm.. how much do I hold my beads... let me quote... "How much do I love thee... let me count the ways..."

I am not a beader - scary huh? BUT OMG I have an obsession w/ these darn lampwork beads. I see them, I must have them.. AND YOU PEOPLE - YOU MESSENGERS OF THE LAMPWORK GODS... all y'all seem to figure out what I like... so I buy a couple... comment on a couple and SUDDENLY THERE ARE A TON OF FREAKIN GORGEOUS BEADS THAT MUST BE BOUGHT BY ME! ::shake it off Cindy... shake it off - you are ok... shake it off::

OK... so - I get the beads and how can you NOT touch them? You eye ball them, slowly wiping the drool off your chin as you take them out of the packages. Then you roll them in your hand... rub them on your cheek - ahh ummm oh sorry! But you know seriously... how can you not. I mean that give-away you did - seriously... I'd have poured them on my bed and rol... ahhh I cant go there again.

OMG this is embarrassing... But I love beads...

Long story short - how long? LONG TIME!!!

Cindy ~ said...

PS...

Keirsten... I have found that the chiffon bags YOU use to send your dru.. ahhh jewelry out in work really well w/ beads. I can put them under my pillow and NOT lose a one!!

I like to call it recycling. ;o)

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails