"The earrings and worry stone I received from Kelley's Bead Studio are exquisite- lovelier than the photos by far. There is no way to describe the way the light plays with these glass beads. They are beautiful and it is obvious that Kelley loves what she does- her care and creativity shine through brilliantly." -GMG
These kind words are in regards to a custom pair of earrings and a special worry stone I made especially for a friend. I had told her previously that I wish I could put cameras in my packages to capture the first reactions upon being opened. But her words let me know I hit the mark and maybe, just maybe, passed it. Her words are fulfilling and reassuring in that what I make with my own two hands does affect others. That what I create is appreciated. Valued.
It makes me think about the lyrics in a song Jewel Kilcher wrote called Hands:
I will not be made useless
I won't be idled with despair
..............
My hands are small, I know
Feedback can be so validating. That how my time is spent is worthwhile and was not wasted. That my efforts are not useless.
Which brings me to Part Two, after writing Part One last month. I'm curious about the feedback practices of other Etsy sellers. Do you leave feedback immediately upon receiving payment? Or do you wait to see what/if any feedback is left for you from the buyer?
I normally leave feedback after receiving payment to both thank the buyer for their purchase and to provide confirmation of when their item shipped (sorry LE, I realized today I didn't do that on your last two sets. where was my mind?!). But sometimes there is a nagging worry at the far reaches of my mind. Particularly on custom orders. Will the buyer be pleased? Is it what (s)he had in mind? What if I missed the mark? Will the customer allow me the opportunity to make it right?
What if?
Because any type of negative, or even neutral, feedback would be devastating if I was not given the chance to make things right if I failed to meet someone's expectations. And let me tell you, there are some people with extremely high expectations (some, I fear, that are higher than my own!).
My entire working life has been, in one form or another, delivering customer service. As a teenager, I began as a courtesy clerk and then a cashier at the local grocery store. I moved onto waitressing for several years before entering the world of corporate America to pay off the credit cards I had so horribly abused. I have moved up that working chain over the past two decades from interfacing with the general public and standing on my feet all day while wearing an apron to partnering with directors and VP's of Fortune 100 companies.
I know which paycheck and which position my feet like better, but the responsibilities are very similar.
I nurture customer expectations and perceptions about the company I work for on a daily basis. It is through my performance and my work ethic that I shape those perceptions. It is how I have built my reputation. I have worked hard to get to where I am. Not just with the phone company, but with my beads, jewelry and Etsy shops. I strive to create quality and unique products and make my customers so happy they come back for more. That they have nothing but good things to say about me.
As the first-born and only child, I suffer from that overpowering drive to succeed, to care for others and to receive validation. In that spirit, I can't foster the "What if?" mentality or the option of retaliatory feedback. At the end of the day, as I close my eyes with my head on my pillow and am buried under countless covers and layers of clothing (because even in the summer, I freeze), I know that I tried my best. That I gave my all. And I hope that that is good enough.
My hands are small, I know
I do love what I do. GMG, I'm glad it is obvious to you. I hope it is just as obvious to others.
Between my bead and jewelry sales on Etsy and selling my work at craft or bead shows, I have near 750 sales behind me. It sounds like a lot, doesn't it? It doesn't feel like it to me. I have collected hundreds of comments of delight about items I have made with my hands. Many of those comments are visible via etsy, but others are held carefully in email folders, special drawers or my own memories of conversations followed by hugs. I always think back and wonder if I could, or should, have done more. What else can I do differently/better going forward?
I have worked hard to build and earn my reputation. And so, I will continue on in this same path, for it has worked well for me. Using my hands and inspiration to melt glass and shape expectations. To trust that what I have put out in the world will come back to me. That I can leave positive feedback for others upon receiving payment and trust it will not make me feel sorry later.
Fellow Etsians, what are your practices on leaving feedback for your buyers? Do you wait? Why/why not?
4 comments:
I am very intrigued by this question since I am about to launch into Etsy. I guess I can't rightly answer it! I know that I try to be very complete with my feedback to my sellers. I would expect that I will do the same when I start selling. My first instinct would be to evaluate the experience at the point of sale and not make it tit-for-tat. Maybe that is my naivete...but I also realize that you can't please everyone. I guess I will have to wait and see, but you have made me think.
Enjoy the day!
Erin
P.S. I LOVE your new blog header. I think it really shows so well. And I appreciate also that it is not all black background (really hard to read). Looks very fresh and light.
Wow. Well first let me tell you that I think you give some of the best customer service I personally have ever experienced. And as far as the feedback thing goes, I think there are two roles. As the role of buyer, my part is done the moment I hit the pay now button in paypal. So as soon as I have purchased & paid, I believe feedback probably should be given then. As soon as my package arrives, the seller's obligation has been fulfilled and I need to give feedback at that time. I really try not to get to hung up on figuring out what the other guy is thinking though-which can be really hard for me. It can be really nerve racking when you hear absolutely nothing back from the buyer especially. Not hearing from a seller just kind of annoys me. Sorry to have written a novel here!
To answer your question I normally give the feedback after I ship the item.
I always send off an email, as soon as I open it thanking the customer for the purchase and a shipping day.
The reason more of a time issue than anything. It is my routine.
Nicole/Beadwright
Erin, I agree. Feedback should not be a tit-for-tat experience, but I can understand a seller's mindset in wanting to wait to try to keep things fair. Have a chance to not necessarily retaliate, but have a written record saying "Hey, I tried to make Ms. X happy by doing this, this and this, but it didn't matter." Best wishes in starting up your own shop! I wish I had known sooner that the black background was difficult for others to read. Glad it works better now :)
Awww, Tari. I'm so glad to read your kind comment! That makes me feel good. I agree with you about the buyer's obligation to leave feedback after receiving the purchase. My stomach always churns a little after sending out beads until I know they have arrived safely. And honestly, if the buyer just lets me know through email and doesn't do the feedback process on Etsy, I'm ok with that. It's nice to see the positive feedback accumulate for others to see, but I'm really most concerned in knowing the buyer 1) received their items and 2) is happy with their purchase.
Nicole, I should probably amend my post statement. I almost always leave feedback upon receiving payment because at that time, I am printing off the shipping label and getting the package in the mailbox. But there are days where orders come in late and I don't get to them until the next day. I try to always include shipping date confirmation in my feedback.
Post a Comment