Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bead Talk #1

Some of you have asked about how the glass looks in comparison to after it has been melted into beads.  Here is a video clip discussing how I use the glass and what it does in the flame.  I also show you the glass rods in the video with the beads.



Here are the greenish nugget beads that have that wonderfully ethereal quality with the mother-of-pearl appearance.  The inner core of the bead that was unexposed to the reducing flame maintains the original green appearance.  The exterior took on a metallic finish until I encased (covered) it in clear.  That's when it turned to this lovely mother-of-pearl coloring which I love!  These will be added to my shop tonight.

Here is the same green metallic luster glass on ivory.  I love how I can see into the depths of the green in some areas (like the bead on the left) and the crackling of the ivory underneath is visible, like the bottom of a creek bed.  I love the dark outline that surrounds the green where it meets the ivory.  This is a typical reaction with any silver glass on ivory.  And then that fun metallic, mirrory finish created from the reducing flame is seen on the bead on the right.

Lastly is the pic of the striking glass on rubino (pink) and teal glass base colors.  It changed from the clearish color to yellowish greens and blues.  I need to work with this more to see if I can get any purples out of it. 

12 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

love it!
you're so dang cute. and no, hardly NO accent at all! except when I hear you call Todd "Baby", then I can hear it!

Gardanne said...

I love these they are beautiful, and no Southern accent at all.

SummersStudio said...

Gorgeous beads and thanks so much for taking the time to go through and explain the process. As a little bit of a techie, I love hearing about it. Compared to what I hear everyday, you are Southern accent free.

Metallo Bianco Jewelry said...

I love it!! And nope...no accent detectable! Yay for videos! I love the green beads with the clear on the outside...SO COOL!

Brian and Staci said...

Oh.my.goodness!!! I want it alllll!!! Wow! These beads are the most gorgeous things I've ever seen!!!! I came over from Thy Hand hath Provided....I'm sooo glad I did :) Can't wait to go look at your shop!!!!

Pearl and Pebble said...

Great video Kelley! I loved it! And those pearly green beads.......hoooooo! I never would have detected the accent had you not mentioned it! We lived in NC for awhile so after you said that, I could hear (maybe) just a tinge:D You are so funny! Thanks for sharing!!

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I didn't hear an accent at all and I love your video and getting to hear more about how you do what you do. Gorgeous beads- you've got talent, woman!

Judy said...

You are so silly. You have always just sounded like Kelley! Love your beads and you!

Karyn said...

Oh I adore the ivory beads - such a gorgeous effect. I am at work today so can't view the video but will definitely take a look when I get home.

Thanks for taking the time to prepare it!

Will you be listing the ivory beads or similar in your store?

Karyn

Unknown said...

Excellent, now I'll make more videos to share with you all :)

Staci, thanks for coming over to my blog from Thy Hand's!

DVArtist said...

Kelly this is great. Thanks so much for sharing this. Accent? you have an accent??? lol can't tell.
Nicole/Beadwright

Anonymous said...

I loved your talk! The changes in the glass due to heat and layering are very interesting... I wouldn't know a southern accent if I heard one, so no help there, sorry! The pictures really are amazing, and I LOVE the effects you are creating!
Thanks!

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails