Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Going Green(er)

We turned a little bit greener this week. Our house, because we will be using 30% less natural gas to heat our water and my DH because he's thinking "Green schmeen, I can think of other things I would have rather spent our money on than this!" We bought two solar panels to use as an energy source for heating our water.

Here is our old water heater after they cut out the piddly little wall that partially hid it in our garage.

Here is the new, triple insulated hot water heater that we have now.

Here are the guys hoisting the second panel over the roof line.

I wish I had been outside five minutes earlier to see how they got it up there without smashing our windows. I know ropes were involved. But still. These guys are pros.

Mounted on the backside of the house, facing South. They are about two and a half to three feet wide and probably close to six feet tall.

My DH worries the panels will fall through the roof and crush us in bed. He likes to worry.

I am excited that our gas bills will be lower, our water hotter, we'll be green and using fewer of our earth's resources and will also get a nice rebate check back from the government for going solar.

6 comments:

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

Very Cool!!! Wish I didn't have such old big trees out back blocking the sun from our roof - would love to do the same... Good Job!

rosebud101 said...

Good for you! You are helping Mother Earth!

Unknown said...

So cool! Way to be green! I hope to get solar panels on our home one day!

SummersStudio said...

So cool that you've done this.

Artisan Clay said...

Yeah! I'm a little jealous. Our roof faces north and it doesn't seem worthwhile for our situation. Way to go! I love it!

Unknown said...

Marsha, the back of our house used to be covered in tons of shade until last fall when a tornado came down our street. It caused dozens upon dozens of tall trees to fall down behind our house, which really lit up all of the backside rooms. Don't think we'll have a problem with shade again any time soon.

The rest of you ladies, I am really excited about getting these put in. I feel more grown up and responsible now :)

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails