The sun came out for a smidge late yesterday and I snapped off a few pictures of new beads landing in my Etsy shop this week. I'm normally not a fan of grey, although I preferred to argue in those shades when I was younger. But I like this grey and red together. A nice dark outline is pushed around the red and there is some great streaking going on in the grey.

Speaking of streaking, do you think I am stripping my beads of their modesty by posing them for their holes to be seen by everyone, rather than having them lined up on a mandrel like this? Am I subjecting them to unfair scrutiny?

Or do you think it's important to see all of the beads, holes and all? A buyer wants to know in advance what they are paying for, right? It is important for determining bead quality, because you don't want jagged edges around your glass bead holes.

Anyway, those were the random meanderings of my mind on not enough sleep. And these are the mixed sets I pulled together from my bead box to list in Etsy. I've been hearing rumblings for months from friends/customers to sell mixed sets of unmatched beads. How did I do? Good mix?

Any suggestions for other mixed/un-matched sets?

Speaking of streaking, do you think I am stripping my beads of their modesty by posing them for their holes to be seen by everyone, rather than having them lined up on a mandrel like this? Am I subjecting them to unfair scrutiny?

Or do you think it's important to see all of the beads, holes and all? A buyer wants to know in advance what they are paying for, right? It is important for determining bead quality, because you don't want jagged edges around your glass bead holes.

Anyway, those were the random meanderings of my mind on not enough sleep. And these are the mixed sets I pulled together from my bead box to list in Etsy. I've been hearing rumblings for months from friends/customers to sell mixed sets of unmatched beads. How did I do? Good mix?

Any suggestions for other mixed/un-matched sets?
7 comments:
absolutely!! they look great! And as for showing off the holes, I think it's smart to show at least 1 pic with the holes exposed.
hmm, almost sounds like bead porn! Well, I guess in the same sense that the food network does food porn, it is. I like the red on grey too, very striking combination!
Pam
You know I'm not a big fan of grey or red, but that combination with the swirls is a beaut. Yes, strip your beads of their modesty. I think showing how well finished their holes are is important in showing off the fine quality of your work. I also thing the mandrel shot is good for giving a peak at how they will actually lay when strung or wired.
Kelly, thanks so much for your comments on the colour changes in the glass kiln and the challenges of working red hot. I enjoy a glimpse of other techniques and the technicalities of it. BTW, my favourite thing to do with my kiln is to open a spy hole and look at the pots/beads glowing red hot. Goggles on of course.
The mixed set looks great! I also love the reactions with gray!
I love the gray and red combo...it looks great! The red really pops. I think gray and purple would look really good too. My favorite of these are the earth tone beads on the mandrel (2nd picture)...love them all!
Loving the mixed set!! And yes...show their holes! I feel so dirty after saying that...
I sold TWO of the mixed sets today! I was so excited.
I wholeheartedly believe that the holes and every side of the bead should be photographed and on display in any bead listing. Those are big signs of quality for not only showing if the holes are smooth or jagged, but also the perpendicular view which shows if the bead is evenly balanced around the hole.
Not sure what sparked that random thought, but it was along the lines of....if beads had feelings or thoughts, would they feel exposed showing off every part?
Post a Comment