I have seen more of my beads grow up this week and I am so pleased! I was chatting with my friend Tabitha the other day and she asked if I was ever displeased with how my beads grow up and I couldn't think of one instance. Most of the time I look at the end results and think, "Wow! They made my beads look super gorgeous!"
Kristi of Dreamsome used my melon raku beads in this gorgeous necklace.
Lorelei used my red and silvered ivory bead in this beautiful bracelet. Love those silver coins along the right side.
It feels so good to be getting on the torch again and making more than just eggs when I sit down. The torch is pulling me and I love it. In turn, it is also helping me enjoy making eggs more which is fun, too. It feels good to making new things, showing them off and getting them in my shop, too. I feel like it has been months since I have regularly added new sets of beads to Etsy. After several years off from hollows, I am having fun making them again.
I wonder what the point is when certain bloggers reach a point where it is okay to judge them for being human or tell them how to operate their blogs. My gut feeling is that it is never okay, yet I see comments (often anonymous) being left on some of my friends' blogs and it makes me sad and wonder if I am wrong. A comment I read several weeks ago continues to resonate in my mind. Visiting someone's blog is no different than being invited into the person's home and should be treated as such. Respectfully. Kindly. It is their space to make as inviting or real as they please. I struggle with this because in the two years that I have been blogging, I have never had anyone leave an unkind, judgmental or self righteous comment. I think my blog visitors (so many who have become online, or even better, personal friends) are the best. You all are so supportive and encouraging. I can't imagine not wanting to know each of of you in person. So it makes me wonder...what do you see in the blogosphere and how does it rub you? Do you feel compelled to jump to the blogger's defense? Do you shake your fist or shake your head?
I took my disposable water camera to the nearest photo developing place (the highly sophisticated Rite Aid pharmacy) last night and found their equipment was out of commission. Hoping to find the time tonight to go elsewhere to have the pics turned into a CD so I can upload the pics Tabitha and I took on the raft and in the river. And then finish uploading pics to artscow.com to make a book for everyone who went on the rafting trip last weekend. Can you believe you can make an 8x8 book with 20 pages for less than ten bucks? I couldn't either, but you can! What a great memento for everyone who went on the rafting trip....so excited to finish this little project.
The girl child has stayed fever free and is behaving good in school. We had a dentist appointment (we being the kids and me) earlier this week and found that I (yay!) am cavity free, as is the girl child (another yay!). The boy child has one little cavity (not his fault, he was told he is a good brusher! he just has really deep crevices in the molars that are hard to fully clean) and will get that sand blasted out soon without any shots or drilling and then filled with a composite. Relief!
However. And this is a big however. The girl child. She has three broken teeth. She has been telling us since this summer when she went on a field trip at summer camp that she broke her teeth and they all fell out. Mmmmmhmmmm. Sure they all fell out. Every. Last. One. Of. Them. Do you think we have heard a few too many 'stories'? Well give me a Parent of the Year award. Sigh. She had three broken teeth. One of the top front ones just had a tiny chip. But a bottom molar was missing a bit of the side touching the cheek. And an upper/side tooth (number 4? I dunno, I'm not very dentally savvy) was so broken that the dentin was visible. Do you see me banging my head on the desk? At least the dentist said that it didn't need repair as long as she isn't feeling any pain...which she isn't.
I have been asked to schedule minor periodontal surgeries for both kids to remove the frenum (that silly little piece of tissue connecting the upper lip to the gums between the top, front two teeth). It is a simple procedure and will heal quickly, which is good. Apparently my husband and I produce children with gaps bigger than Madonna's teeth on the top, which will later create major dental issues and the need for braces because the teeth can't grow together as they need to. As a former child shark and needing 7 teeth pulled BEFORE they could put braces in my head, I will take the blame for any/all wacky dental genes. But. My stomach is churning. BOTH of my kids need this done. This will require shots and anesthesia. Churning, I tell you. Look at my little monkeys. They're too little to be going through surgery and getting knocked out. Sniff.
There is an awesome countdown for many wonderful things that is being kept track of in the back of my mind and has me excited. In 11 days, my Grandma will turn 92. Wow! In 15 days, my boy will turn 8. How did that happen? My baby is turning eight! In 21 days, we will celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary and 12 years from our first date. It really doesn't seem that long since I first poked fun at Todd in the elevator lobby in our office and he asked me out. In 23 days, my other baby will be turning six! In 35 days, I will be flying up to Syracuse to visit Lorelei. I am beyond stoked to visit for a weekend, meet her husband (and her cat Marley!), see where she works and sit in her studio. And a little farther off, I will be turning 35. That same week, I should be flying out to San Diego to see a good friend and meet her newborn second child (woo hoo! I get to photograph a newborn!). The week after, we are planning a family vacation to Orlando with multiple grandparents to witness the wonder of Disney for the first time with our kids. My first time since I was six and Todd's first time ever. The rest of this year is just going to fly. I can feel it.
So. In honor of my excitement over good things to come this fall. And because I hit 500 sales in my Etsy shop this week. And because I love you, leave me a comment. I'll choose a random winner this weekend and will make you your own worry stone. You choose 2-3 colors. I promise I'll get it made faster than the last time. No, I'm not linking back to the last time for you to see how long it took me. It was disgraceful. And not to be repeated.
Tell me something good. Share your thoughts on blog etiquette. Where is the farthest place you have traveled? If you could move somewhere else in a heartbeat, where would it be and why? Something. Just don't do it anonymously so I know how to reach you if you're the winner! :)






16 comments:
So sorry to hear about the dentist thing. But, kids usually heal very quickly. I do LOVE the necklaces on your daughter! Reminds me of when mine was her age. Good luck with it all.
When you go to Syracuse you have to eat the Dinosaur BBQ (amazing BBQ) and if you get a chance, go to Liverpool and go to Hydes hotdogs (maybe Heids) My two favorite places to eat up there!!! MMM.
I would love to make something out of your bead for my Aunt who just got out of the surgery room. She is my favorite Aunt. She was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer just late last week and was advised to have both of her breast remove sooner than later.And so she is having them remove I am thinking a rosary bracelet.
i hate mean commentors on blogs. people think they can say anything, and don't realize that it really just hurts feelings, and creates discord in a place that is supposed to be positive and fun to hang out at.
on another note, I wish I was going with C to whatever Marti Gras party she attended after that dentist appointment. ;)
AAAGGGGHHHH, I am going to be away when you are here visiting Lori!! Otherwise, I would have hopped in the car to join you gals for a margarita. :(
I am incredibly frustrated by the anonymity that the internet provides people. Although, for the most part, people know how to be nice. There are too many people that think they can gab and say what they want simply because they don't have to tell anyone they actually said it. Whatever happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anythign at all"? I love the idea of blogs being a room of our homes that we invite people into!! Thanks for that!!
Kelly, I feel exactly the same way about my little beads when I see them in someones design. It's exciting and inspiring.
About annonymous commentors, I feel the same way as you do. Our blogs are like our homes and they are places we open up and share with others. But they are our spaces and we get to do what we like with them. If someone doesn't like what you or I or somebody else has to say then you don't need to read our blogs. And you certainly shouldn't leave anonymous comments especially negative ones. That's just kind of creepy and gutless in my opinion. Hopping off soap box now.
You have so many things coming up, so many milestones and happy times. Enjoy yourselves!
Boy are you going to be busy in the next few weeks! Have a blast and enjoy those birthday parties!
I have been lucky about not having any poisonous comments on the blog. I just don't understand why people do that to other people (shaking my head).
I was lucky enough to live in Germany for four years and I would like to go back to visit, especially Munich. But I would drop everything in a heart beat if I could move to Asheville, NC. I was lucky enough to win a scholarship to go to Penland and I took one of my weekends to go to the Biltmore and I loved, loved Asheville!
I am rubbing my hands in anticipation for the beads! I am so freaking excited! I will post pics once I have made the pieces!
Have a great day and weekend!
Beth
What is good? I turn 50 this year...
I agree with everyone else, your blog is like a room in your home, do unto others... be nice!
Where in Syracuse? I used to live in Mattydale and also on Teall Avenue... my Ex used to work for Syracuse China... I've been away for nearly 22 years though...
I'd love to meet just about everyone I have 'met' on line through my blog, in person, they have all been so nice.
BTW - I LOVE my worry stone! <3
Cindy
I forgot to add that the worry stone was WELL WORTH WAITING FOR!! if I win this time (I doubt I will) I will give it to my Mom who is undergoing treatments for a metastasis of her cancer from 11 years ago... shades of blue with maybe a little pink (breast cancer)
Hi, Kelley! I think I'm back in the blogoshere! Take care. Your beautiful children will be fine. My son had to have 6 teeth removed (and they were crooked circular teeth) before he could get braces. His teeth are beautiful now.
I love blogging and have already made some wonderful friends who I would love to meet one day.
I have to agree that although my blog is a public page it is still a little haven for me and I take on board any comments I receive. I have been lucky to have not had a negative experience with my blog yet but it does happen. Everyone is welcome to drop by my blog... just be nice to me and others!
Thanks for offering one of your worry stones. I know I worry way too much so I reckon one of these would help! And hey even if it doesn't I know the fact that it was made by you and will be beautiful will still bring a smile to my face :D
Karyn
I had lots of teeth pulled when I was very young in hopes I wouldn't need braces, I got them in my mid 40's afterall!! You're babies will be fine but I certainly understand your anxiety!!!
Thank you thank you for sharing my work, I adore those gorgeous Melon Raku beads and LOVE the way they look with Turquoise!!! You rock!!
I agree with you about the mean comments on blogs...I feel so bad for the blog owners who put so much time into sharing their lives on their blogs only to be criticized by strangers. I am fortunate that I have not experienced it, but it tends to happen to the more well known bloggers with more followers. Congrats on all your milestones and fun plans!
Oh, and I have bad teeth too :( Thanks for the giveaway!!
Lisa
Poor girl child! (of course there should be a cry wolf lesson in there somewhere for her but since she's not feeling any pain it sounds like you're the one getting the guilt from it!) Interesting that they're going to knock them out for a frenum clip...I had it done when I was little...shot of Novocaine and done.
I think the cranky blog comments just come from cranky people-the same people who stir up trouble on forums and can't play nice at work! I've also been fortunate to not have any of those comments on my blog (but I don't have hundreds of comments) but I think the only way to react is just shake your head and know it's them, not you!
Woo Hoo, you in SD...fingers crossed for a get together!! You are going to pack LH, right?? ;)
your kids are so cute! love all your stories!
You seem to be a most fortunate woman!! You have alot going for you and I appreciate you sharing your "world" with us.
Ever wonder what happened to those real "bullies" from our childhood? Looks like you found 'em.
Enjoy your life and again thanks for sharing it with us!!!
~smiles~
Sharon
Oh, Kelley, I have to commiserate with you on your boychild and babygirl. My babygirl, at 3, had to have 2 teeth removed (removed!) and had 4 cavities. She also had to have surgery for this major procedure, and I was devestated. Like you, I've always had dental issues, and have unfortunately seemed to have passed that on to my girl. Hopefully, the boy does seem to take after his father, with his healthier teeth! Erin, however, now (at almost-5) loves to show everyone her silver teeth (the replacements/spaceholders for those pulled), so there doesn't seem to be any resentment on her part...just mine, that I didn't realize how bad her teeth really were, despite all the brushing we did! AH well, such is life, huh?
Post a Comment