Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Grown Up Beads and Torch Frustration

I just got more photos of some of my egg beads all grown up and had to share.  I LOVE what these ladies did with my eggs!

Courtney made these two necklaces with my eggs.

Next up is the collaborative work of Beth and Evie from EB Bead and Metalworks.  Beth already had a vision when she asked me for cobalt and lapis beads.  Read about her inspiration here.  And then read here to learn about the whole process that went into making this.  Great vision, Beth!

Beth and her Mom create wonderful lampwork and metal components, like this little Kokopelli.  Check out their shop here.  There are also pieces of jewelry in there.  Through emails and her blog, I have noticed that Beth and Evie love to spend time together and have a blast creating and making art.  You don't know how much that makes me smile and feel warm inside to hear about a mother and daughter being so close in their adult years.

In case you didn't notice the link in the upper left, Lorelei is having a big sale in her Etsy shop and marked EVERYTHING down $10.  Great deals in there, people.  Think about some items that you could give as Christmas presents and get some of your shopping done early.

I sat at the torch for close to two hours last night.  I made a few more eggs and tried to make more of some beads I listed and sold the other day for a special request.  But honestly, it was all drudgery.  Every other bead was a disaster.  The bead release (mud) was breaking off the mandrels.  Glass was popping and flying back at me.  I was gnashing my teeth and looking at the clock, wondering when Todd would be home from tennis and I could go walk Little Horse.  It was like I had been away from the torch for weeks/months and nothing was working right.  I am so thankful this is a rare occurrence and will be back on the torch again tonight, since it is the first NFL game.  And the Vikings game will be on.  In HD.  You can tell I'm a supportive wife, no? :D

11 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

You couldn't pay me to watch the Vikings....unless of course the Packers will crush them. *wink*

Sorry. But I wear a cheesehead proudly ;-)

Enjoy the day!
Erin

SummersStudio said...

Oh, Kelley, that happens to me sometimes with clay. It just won't work right. Everything I touch is a disaster. It is frustrating but you just have to walk away. The next time, everything is fine.

And Erin, we have a little Viking, Packers thing in our family. My husband is a cheesehead and my sister is a die hard Vikings fan. Makes for interesting discussions.

lunedreams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lunedreams said...

don't you hate it when your synapses get all gummed up like that and you seem to forget everything you used to know how to do? happens to me too, usually doesn't last very long. a cue to take a break! i'm sure you'll have your mojo back tonight!

i find football is a perfect excuse to read a book!

Silver Parrot said...

Oooh...look how pretty your eggs are now that they are all grown up. And I can't WAIT for football tonight!

rosebud101 said...

It's a pain when these things happen. I don't watch the Vikes and I live in the state that does. Oh, well. Go,.......? Someone? lol

Courtney Breul said...

I love football! Some of my best work is done during football season!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

I hate it when everything goes wrong on the torch and you were planning on accomplishing so much. I especially hate it when you have a beautiful bead going and the next thing you see is the bead release being release from the mandrel and your bead has gone to pot. UGH! I hope your torching experience was better last night and your football game went well. Me, not into football, except the Superbowl for the commercials.
Thanks for giving us a shout out! Have a great weekend! It is Friday!
Beth

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I'm impressed you know who's playing. I'm oblivious to those details. By choice, of course:-).

Your beads sure do fine lovely homes. How can they not, lovely as they are?!

Tara P. said...

Love how the eggs grew up! I've been wanting to try stuff with ribbons, but haven't taken that first step yet. Being from Minnesota and having a lot of friends still there, all I saw on my Facebook page all day was VIKINGS, VIKINGS, VIKINGS!

Pretty Things said...

I hate bad torch days. I've had one now for oh, two months. It's either the torch, the propane, or the oxycon. I bought a new torch (haven't set it up yet), bought a new tank of propane, and after I finally get around to setting it up, will PRAY it's not the oxycon that kept making my flame die down in the middle of torching sessions.

I have bad beading days quite often, too, so it seems to be contagious and jumps that bead/jewelry barrier. Darn.

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails