Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Shipping Through Paypal

I have read so many people's twitter and blog comments about making runs to the post office.  Unless I am shipping internationally, I don't make any trips to the post office.  I used to purchase my postage online through usps.com, but that was spendy because the cheapest postage was Priority Mail at $4.80 a pop.  I had tracking information which was cool, but I was losing money (my shipping charges on Etsy are roughly $3-5, but then I waive shipping fees for purchases over $40....and my little boxes that I use to package my beads and keep them safe are around a dollar each.  see?  money was flying out of my account faster than it was going in!).  

Then a friend tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "Um, why aren't you shipping through PayPal?  It's First Class mail AND you get tracking info."  Cause, um, sometimes I miss the obvious?  :D  It only took me a year plus to stumble onto this much cheaper solution.  Momma always said I was a smart one.  Apparently not when it came to shipping.

So here are a coupla screenshots for my fellow Etsians who are sending out jewelry or other small items.  If you receive payments through Paypal, it is extremely simple.

I am using Gunilla as an example because I still have the Print shipping label button visible on my Paypal account page showing all transactions (it disappears once you have printed a shipping label).   Gunilla lives in Finland, so I drove to the post office to ship out her beads.  You can ship internationally through Paypal, but only using Priority or Express Mail.  Both of those are spendy options and filling out the customs info is a major pain in the toukis (it requires much more information than we fill out on the green customs form).


This transaction shows Partially Refunded because I refunded Gunilla her shipping fees because she spent over forty bucks.  Next step is to click on the Print shipping label button.  The nice thing about this is that Paypal automatically populates the address information because they use the buyer's PayPal account address.

You can then select the type of shipping.  I use First-Class Mail, but there are other choices that are more or less spendy/speedy (Media Mail, Parcel Post, Priority or Express).  Then select the package size; the other option is Large Package which typically isn't suitable for me sending beads or jewelry.  Then the weight.  I have a little five dollar scale I picked up in the kitchen section of Walmart.  It hasn't done me wrong yet, I just need to make sure the needle is lined up at zero before I place the envelope on the scale to weigh it (cause it's not a fancy-schmancy digital scale).  You can change the mailing date if you are printing out the label the night before and can also type a note to be emailed to the recipient (the recipient will receive an email directly from Paypal with the tracking #, so the note is an added bonus if you have extra information to share).



After clicking on an OK button, you will get this confirmation screen.  Just click on the Print Label button.  A pop-up window will open asking for confirmation from you that the label printed correctly (you would want to do a re-print if the printer jammed or the ink ran out.)




That's it.  After the label prints out, then just cut it down to size & tape to the outside of your envelope and walk it to your mail box.  Done.

Your Mail Boy/Slave will thank you.

7 comments:

Diana said...

You are so right about this. First class mail rocks if yor package is light enough. I still make trips to the post office because we don't have a mailbox. But I get to check my mail also and if I have time take my dog for a little hike.

Mellisa said...

I keep meaning to use paypal for my shipping but just haven't gotten around to it...seems pretty silly doesn't it?! (especially since I have a digital scale!) Now with your step-by-step I have no excuse :)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much, Kelley!
I to have missed the obvious. I am going to have to get my printer fixed/replaced but I think the one at the office works... either way this will save my tons of time (and aggravation) with local post offices!
♥

SummersStudio said...

Tee Hee, it took me about a year to figure this out too. But it is super convenient to ship through PayPal. Also, tracking is a lot cheaper this way that through USPS. Kelley, I buy my boxes through PaperMart.com. They aren't as pretty as yours (mine are kraft) but at .25-.35 a piece, they are inexpensive. Lots of 100 and they ship really fast and reasonably.

Artisan Beads Plus said...

Thanks! I'm going to try this. I live in a very rural area and unless I'm stopping on my way home from work, I have to venture out to the post office which is at least a 10 min. ride! My only concern was the tracking, but I guess it's not a concern anymore :O)

Unknown said...

I really hope this helps out others to save time driving across town & standing in line and also money in shipping. This is so easy to do because you're already in Paypal to move $$ around.

Diana, I love going for hikes with my dogs! I walk Little Horse 2-3 miles every night before going to bed.

LeAnn, thanks for the PaperMart.com link, I will check them out. I love that you say "TeeHee"! My best friend since the 8th grade says that and it always makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

You have a nice blog. Sometimes our paypal account will get freezed for no definite reason giving us paypal nightmares. In this case www.mypaypalblueprint.com helps people to unfreeze their paypal accounts.

Thanks,

Camilynn - unfreeze your paypal account

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails