Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Arizona Beads!

I got all of Wednesday at my Aunt Gail's home and much of it was spent in her studio.  H-E-A-V-E-N!  I tried out several new techniques.  She's got two torches set up with great ventilation and good lighting.  We were surrounded by TONS of glass.  I had no orders to make (yay for a little vacation) and fiddled around trying out things that have been in the back of my mind for weeks.

I made this big cube bead with a gorgeous color of transparent blue that is no longer sold (not even found in batches on eBay or the lampworker forums). Sniff.  I loved it!  It is a dot-on-dot technique with multiple layers of clear encasing it.  I smashed it into a square and really like how it turned out.  Will be making more of these, but maybe not as large.


Here is the same technique, but with a cobalt blue and not smashed into a cube.  I had not intended to leave the bead ridged, but the bead release on the mandrel broke and the bead started spinning so I finished in a hurry and stuck it in the kiln.

This bead was playing around with a transparent orange base and then another light transparent dipped in a frit which created some cool reactions and awesome blues.  Unfortunately, I didn't do so hot of a job photographing all of it.  So that's something on the To Do list for when I return home.

How's the cement patio working for you as a background to my beads?  It's all I got out here in AZ. :)

Tomorrow I will be sleeping in my own bed, which will be nice.  But I'm really not ready to leave my in-laws, aunt & uncle, the mountains or the warm temps.

6 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Great beads, Kelly! enjoy your stay!

Tabitha W. said...

wow! those are stunning!! now hurry home, i miss my friend :)

Gardanne said...

Very cool Aunt, looks like a great studio. I have tried that technique before, but not happy with the results yet, that is a great first try.

DVArtist said...

Hi Kelly, the beads are fantastic!!! Where in AZ are you? I will be in Scottsdale in June.
Have fun
Nicole/Beadwright

Pretty Things said...

I LOVE square beads!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to get back on the torch to try out more!

Nicole, we were in the Mesa/Chandler area for all of last week. It was so hard leaving our family and warm temps in the high 70s/low 80s. Wish we could have stayed in that vacation/dream life for another week or two, or seven.

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails