While I was on vacation last week in Arizona, I visited Beads Galore in Tempe. It is an incredible bead store chock full of just about every type of bead. In the past, I have been known to go a little bit nuts and blow my Rainy Day savings account (ok, more than that) on multiple visits in less than a week. But this time, I had promised myself I wouldn't be buying beads.
I just wanted to go to get some hook & eye clasps for leather cord. When I found them, I was blown away by the price of silver since the last time I purchased any. CRAZY PRICES! I turned on my heel and was headed for the door, bound and determined to stick to my promise that I wouldn't buy any beads. I still have beads from LAST year that I bought at Beads Galore that I haven't even pulled out of their baggies. Sniff. Those poor, unloved beads. But my mom-in-law was still looking at chains and clasps, so I lingered.
While I lingered, I found some really cool beads. I know my friend Keirsten has been wanting to get some new bone beads and I looked with the intention of finding a cool strand for her. But I just couldn't do it. They creeped me out. Sigh. They looked like miniature vertebrae to me and then I started thinking about what kind of creatures the bones came from. Squirrels? Raccoons? Yaks? I don't know, but whatever they came from they creeped me out. I'm sorry I failed you, Keirsten.
I did end up buying several strands of new beads, but don't shake your finger at me just yet. I didn't spend a fortune. At least not a large fortune. And. They're not for me. Some will be gifts and some will make for a giveaway on my blog later this week or next (depending on the weather. rain doesn't help me get outside to take bead pics!).
They had a long row of copper bead strands that caught my attention. Ooooh, shiny. But I passed on by after I snapped this picture. I already have a bunch of copper. I really need to use up more of my bead supplies before I start thinking about buying more beads. Snort. Kinda like what I tell myself about glass supplies, but then a wonderful sale came along last week and I ordered 10+ pounds of glass. So much for holding off for another two months on buying glass! Where were we? Copper! Beads Galore has everything so well organized, hanging nicely in strands with prices and beads all clearly marked. And so much of it is shiny! So easy to get lost in there.
Besides a wall of Czech glass beads organized by color, they had aisles and aisles of beads organized by type of stone. This store appeals to my obsessive compulsive need for organization by color and type. My closet is organized by color, as is my glass cabinet and all of my boxes of beads. For awhile my books were organized by color, but then I couldn't sleep at night and had to change it back to alphabetical.
They had lots of hematite.
And of course a long table filled with cheap lampwork made overseas in sweatshop factories with crummy ventilation and no OSHA requirements for eye protection or age restrictions. Large dichro focals for two bucks or less. Disgraceful. I won't start in on a rant, as much as I would like to right now. Can you tell that's a hot button for me?
So those are the luscious shots of beads I got from Beads Galore. Soon enough you will see pics of some of the beads I scored.
Coming up tomorrow is a post about Little Horse with lots of pics.



5 comments:
Wow! That looks like a GREAT bead store! I definitely would have gotten in trouble in there. I think the bones beads are kinda creepy looking too. Can't wait to see what you picked up!
Hey there is nothing like Beads Galore. I have been shopping with them since 1990. Long before they had a store like this. It use to be in a warehouse with table after table after table piled high with bags of beads. I had so much fun in those old days spending hours with the owner and his kids, who now run the business. It is a great place, great prices, and great people there. I will be there in June can hardly wait.
Nicole/Beadwright
I know what you mean about chinese lampwork. Before I started making a lampwork beads I made a necklace out of some of them. The other day I was going through some old jewelry, and there is was with 5 beads split in half, just from sitting in my jewelry box!
looking at those pictures just makes me hyperventilate!! it sounds like you exercised admirable self control, except with respect to MOI. can't wait to fondle my loot! THANKS FOR THINKING OF ME!!!! YOU ROCK!!!
It is so easy to go back to Beads Galore day after day and each time find something new and too cool not to take home. I got a ten minute lunch break today and took advantage of the sun to take pics of the beads, so a post should be coming soon. :)
Anne, you really get what you pay for with that cheap lampwork, don't you? So much of it scares me because the bead release is rarely cleaned out. That stuff is so toxic!
Nicole, I agree about the store and their owners/employees being wonderful! Helpful and friendly folks provide great service and a wonderful atmosphere. When we went last year, they were begging us to bring the dog in for them to play with in the front while we shopped.
Post a Comment