Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What Came Out of the Kiln This Morning?

I'm having a hard time turning this calendar page....I'm a sucker for flags and really anything patriotic. This little ferret with his hard hat has been watching me melt glass for the last month and I'm going to miss him. But it is probably time to move on to August.



Here is my torch all fired up from last night. A trusty little Mega Minor burner with a torch-mounted graphite marver for helping shape my beads. Lots of clear rods on the torch table. I try to have them all cleaned before I start melting glass because it seems I'm always using clear on whatever I make these past few months.



Here is everything that went into the kiln last night and I'm pleased with how most of it came out. The butterfly is the second one I have made and it was easier than the first. I have shied away from butterflies in the past because in the Beads of Courage program, they are given to the parents who have lost their children to cancer. But a customer asked that I make a butterfly for her and it made me realize I shouldn't let my emotions prevent me from making something that could mean so much to others who have lost their children. I'll keep tissues close by if I start thinking too much about the purpose of the bead.



I like this worry stone that I made last night. It has a combination of Gaia and Cezanne under a thin layer of clear. While my fingers like the bumpy side better, my eyes like the smooth side the best. There are lines of silver wrapping around the bead that I love.




I was playing around with Double Helix's newest color named Ekho last night and combining it with clear. The purple is the best reaction, but I'm still learning how to control it.




The clouds started moving on me over my lunch hour and blocked out the sunlight just as I was finishing taking pics. I thought I'd aim my camera at the sky for a couple of shots. I may start including these with my Etsy listings just as a fun way of showing what kind of lighting I had when taking the pics. :) I thought it would be cool and isn't anything I've seen other Etsy sellers do (although, I do enjoy seeing pics of their feline Quality Control Inspectors). Think that's a stupid idea? If you do, then tell me why. Just soften the blow with a compliment on my kids. Or you can tell me you like my hair.




Owen lost his last wiggly tooth yesterday. This is the fourth tooth that has come out. He is proud to show off his toothless grin, so it is easier now to get pictures of him. Wondering how long this will last.


1 comment:

rosebud101 said...

Love the kids! They are cute. The beads are gorgeous! Glad you're making beads for BOC, especially the butterflies. They are much needed, sadly!

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails