Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Worry Stones

I wanted to make something for one of my friends after she knitted two cool winter hats for me (they got so much use this past winter!), but she doesn't wear jewelry. So I decided to make her a worry stone. During many attempts to get just the right color combination and texture for her, I realized how much I enjoyed making a larger bead like this.



This particular bead has a base of black, with silver glass spiraled around it, smidges of raku coming out from each hole/end and is decorated with white frit that reminds me of moonlight in the areas where it is encased (covered) in clear and stepping stones where I allowed it to surface. One side is melted smooth and the other has a spiral of clear growing out from the center. Like any good worry stone in a pocket, your fingers will immediately know which side they are touching.



This is the back/smooth side of the second worry stone. I twisted a deep, black hole into it between the stripes of blue & tan. It took a little swim with me last night when I had to jump into the pool fully clothed to save my kids from drowning. Debating on whether to list it in my Etsy shop or keep it as a good luck charm.

4 comments:

Metallo Bianco Jewelry said...

WOW!!! I love that 2nd one!! I want it!...so YES, you should list it! :)

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

I'm so excited about your new worry stones! I have to keep them in mind for Christmas gifts! I know it is a long time from now, but I'm always looking ahead!
Best of luck with them!
Michelle-

SummersStudio said...

Love these, especially the second one. It's like you can look deep inside an ocean. I sometimes make heavily texture pieces that I give away for people to keep in their pockets. I recently gave one away and the person wrote me back to say he was calling it a touch stone. I loved that idea.

Unknown said...

Cas, you bought the first one you excited thing! I hadn't listed the second one yet :)

Thanks Michelle & LeAnn! I am having a lot of fun making them, but wasn't sure what kind of response I would get to them. So far, I'm receiving really positive feedback. Yay, I'm so pleased :D

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails