Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Decisions Decisions

Tonight I must submit a bead to Southern Flames for the annual postcard. The post card from last year is featured on the home page. See if you can guess which bead is mine!

Not only does my bead submission need to be my coolest bead I have ever made, but it also needs to photograph well. There are many beads that are super cool, but are a pain in the neck to photograph without major reflections or distortions in color or the texture of the bead doesn't quite translate into a two dimensional picture.

These are the four beads I have narrowed down from the masses (ha!) for my submission. Pictures show the back/smooth side and the front/textured side. I am leaning heavily towards two of them, but want your feedback. Which one is your favorite? Why?

I love the bubbly feel of the top. Kinda reminds me of the non-slip shower mats, but that probably isn't a selling feature I will use once I list this in Etsy.


And another with the same dotted/bubbly top side. I think my fingers like this texture the best out of all my worry stones. Some of the dots in this bead look a little swirly like boro, but it is all soft glass. I used StrikingColor glass on black and then lots n lots of clear. Such cool reactions!


I made smaller round beads with this color combination & design last August. I love the transparent, pale emerald glass on white and then silvered ivory wrapped around. Especially when it is etched, then it has this great sea glass vibe! I like how only little 'leaves' of the silvered ivory peek through to the surface on the front, coming up through the textured layers.


And lastly....I pictured this bead in a previous blog post, but wanted to show that it is in the running as a submission candidate next to the other choices. I like the back/smooth side better because it is easier to see the very fine, silver lines running horizontally through the stripes of blue/green. The top side shot isn't great for reflecting the colors accurately, but it was the best one I took where you can see the raised horizontal stripes of clear.


4 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

My top pick is the very first bead in this post. Love the colors, and the texture is wonderful. Really nice work Kelley!

SummersStudio said...

I'm also with the first bead pic. In addition to the colours I love how it pops off the black background. I also like the second to last one for similar reasons.

Unknown said...

I am waffling between the first two beads. My husband and SIL both agreed their fave was the second bead.

I like the black background for helping beads pop out & really shine in all their glory. It is easier to photograph when the beads are etched. If they still have their initial, shiny finish I tend to have wretched reflection issues or color issues where they get washed out.

Thanks ladies for weighing in with your opinions!

Metallo Bianco Jewelry said...

I like the second or the forth one. The top pictures definitely for both. I love the colors in the second one, but the forth one really POPS!! And I am guessing that the top left corner picture is yours on the postcard????
Cas

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails