Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Weekend Loot and a Trip to San Diego!

Yesterday I got close to four hours on the torch.  Woot!  I made a TON of headpins.  Forty, to be exact.  

I thought you'd like to see what a jumbled, tangled web they look like when I take them out of the tumbler.

I think it's interesting that the copper and sterling wires are both 20 gauge, but the sterling remains relatively straight and the copper can't curl up tight enough in spirals.  I need to cut up more wire so I can keep making more headpins this week.

I also made some beads.  And a few eggs.  I have two custom orders for eggs and made extras, so the extras can go in the shop during my update this Thursday.  Because if I list everything Friday night, I won't get the time to package up and ship out orders before I leave for San Diego on Saturday morning.  I didn't think that would be fair to make you wait until the end of next week....cause I won't be home until the evening of next Wednesday, the 10th.
Little Horse came out on the deck with me while I photographed the headpins.  This was the first time he didn't act like a Nancy boy out on the deck after I shut the door to the house.  Progress, my friends.  He's making it.  On some days.  :D

So.  I'm flying out to San Diego and am totally stoked!  My good friend Sara is having her second baby on the 9th, if she makes it that long.  The boy child was already measuring at 42 weeks when she was only 36 weeks.  I think he's going to come out walking in the next day or two.  She has family lined up to bombard the homestead, but was so kind to ask me to come at the very start and guaranteed me a queen size futon while staying with her.  I'll get to load up her three year old on hugs and kisses and I can't wait to do that.  As well as hold and kiss and photograph her newborn.  And soak in her humor and practicality.  Sara is one of the most no-nonsense people I know.  She doesn't hold back in her thoughts or feelings, but finds kind words to get her point across without calling names.  I love her to pieces and wish that the distance from Atlanta to San Diego wasn't so far.  I miss my friend and can't wait to see her.

The bonus is that I will get to meet Mellisa of Chinook Jewelry and spent a fun part of the weekend with her.  I am absolutely thrilled!  I'm sorry Mellisa, if I tried to pack Little Horse in my pocket or the seat next to me, I think he'd be scarred for life.  You'll just have to cope with pics on the blog :)

I hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween.  We had self-made drama from our kids and last minute costume changes.  Todd and I just looked at each other and said "I remember when I was a kid and Halloween was fun."  Sigh.

I'll have more bead and headpin pics up this week, as well as pics and links to other jewelry designers using my beads (can't wait to show you what's happening with some of my eggs!).

Don't forget...next bead update in the shop will be after 8pm EDT on Thursday, November 4th.

5 comments:

Silver Parrot said...

We HAVE to meet up! Think you might have any free time?

rosebud101 said...

Have fun, Kelley!

lunedreams said...

Nancy looks pretty serene to me. Baby steps! My earwires turn into a tumbleweed in the tumbler, sort of like your headpins. But it's way better than hand-polishing! CONGRATS on your tumbler! Hope you love it!

Funny how you don't remember the drama. I don't remember any drama from my childhood Halloweens. I'm sure there was no drama. Although I do remember having some strong feelings during the trading sessions after trick-or-treating. ("I'll give you three Bit-O-Honeys for a Smarties. Heck I'll give you ALL my [disgusting] Bit-O-Honeys for a Smarties.")

Mellisa said...

Well, at least a LH pic on this post is something... Love all those gorgeous headpins, what a delicious jumble. Can't wait for the weekend and to get to hang out, I'll give you the full tourist treatment (with bead stores thrown in)!!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Head pin are gorgeous! I am soooo jealous of your trip. My dad lives in San Diego and I've never been : ( - Have an awesome time!

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails