Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Friday, July 2, 2010

My Vacation So Far

We got on the road late (down with work getting in the way of fun and sneaking out early!) and enjoyed sunny skies until we got to Tennessee.

Kentucky gave us a beautiful sunset before we called it a night and found a hotel room in Paducah.  we got the last one available.  All others were taken by the folks coming into town for an archery tournament.  Who knew archery was so big?

The kids and I packed up and headed out early Friday morning so we could get on the road and arrive in Minnesota before sunset.  The kids didn't stop looking toward the ceiling as we ate breakfast in the hotel.  It was a two story room and the top was covered in quilts like these.  Paducah is home of the National Quilt Museum and I gather there are quilts on display at many of the local hotels there.

I always love driving by the Arch as we cross the Mississippi River coming into St. Louis.

And I love these bridges in St. Charles (my hometown) that we crossed before stopping for an hour or so to visit with my great aunt and uncle.

We saw lots of fireworks stores like this and each one was pointed out to me (fireworks are illegal in Georgia, so the kids always want to buy them).   But I'm a mean mom and focused on driving by, rather than stopping.  Boo hiss, they said.

LeAnn, I waved to your people!

Iowa was filled with farm land and wonderful barns.  I am fascinated by old barns and how farm run.  My great uncle (the one I saw in St. Charles) was a farmer his whole life.  I loved visiting them as a child and going for tractor rides and playing in the barn.

The last hour of driving was filled with stormy skies, lots of lightning and tornado warnings/watches.  I hate tornadoes. :(

Saturday morning we went to the local Farmer's Market.  I wanted to eat all of the raspberries.  There were dozens of different booths selling organic produce and grass-fed bison/elk/cows.

Helllllooooooooo!

On Sunday, we went to the baptism of a cousin's baby girl.  It was in the church where almost every member of her mom's family has been baptized.  And she was wearing her father's baptism gown that was nearly 140 years old, has been used 27 times in his family and will have traveled 24,000 miles by the time it is returned to England next week.  I loved the history in this morning!

After the baptism was a big family picnic where the kids gorged on fruit, fruit salads and playing soccer in the backyard.  Chloe hung out with grown ups, teenagers, kids and the baby.

On Monday morning, we went to Heather's home to hang out.  She named it our Second Annual meeting, which has me smiling still.  We were originally twitter friends. Then blog followers and facebook friends before we met in person for the first time last year.  Our kids had fun playing together on the World's Best Tire Swing Ev-ah!  Heather cooked us all lunch and we had a great time.  I was sorry we had to leave as soon as we did.

Catching dozens of little frogs....

Taking pictures of each other...

And going on bear hunts (Chloe's favorite book).

Back at Grandma's the kids had fun playing with sparklers.

Then we went to Grandma's retirement party.  She worked for the Mayo Clinic for 23 years and spent the last half working in the furniture department helping equip folks with ergonomically correct solutions in their cubes or offices.  It's hard to see the whole cake, but it was the largest cake I have ever seen.  Ginormous.  Delicious.  Congratulation Vicki on your retirement!  Now you can really start living your life and hopefully come visit us more :)

On Wednesday, we started our five hour drive to northern Minnesota.  It ended up being longer because we got a late start and got stuck in the twin cities rush hour traffic.  We had a good ten minute stop on a bridge high above some water and I contemplated survival/escape methods and gave thanks for the good things in my life as I felt the bridge shake and vibrate.  I believe it was last summer when I was up here that Minnesota was having problems with bridges falling down.  I gave even more thanks once we were moving again and off the bridge.  Once we arrived Up North, a fire was waiting for us to roast marshmallows.  The kids were too busy tearing around like wild things to sit with the adults and talk.

Here is the trail I am rollerblading on each morning.  It is very level and long because they paved over old, unused train tracks to make the path.  I love skating next to farms, through the woods and surrounded by prairie grass.  It is so peaceful!

And here my friends, is the best view.  This is 8th Crow Wing Lake and is within walking distance of where I am sleeping each night.  How gorgeous is this water and sky?  The kids are already having a blast spending time in the boat fishing with their Papa Wenzel and swimming in the pool and doing whatever they want with their Grandma Sharon. 

Life is good.  Life is very, very good.

10 comments:

Courtney Breul said...

All of it is beautiful! Have a great time.

Spirited Earth said...

summer fun..great photos

TesoriTrovati said...

Thanks for taking us on your journey. Whew! That is a long one! Those pics of the kids are awesome..particularly the tire swing. And I am a mean mom too...no to fireworks. That is for professionals. I even hate sparklers. Did you know that more accidents happen to kids with those lit sticks of sparking flame than others? I hope you have a ton of fun on your vacation.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Gardanne said...

Sounds like a great time enjoy, and think of new bead designs.

Judy said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful journey...I feel as though I too have been there. Your photo's are beautiful. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Oh, Kelley, how fun! I loved seeing these pictures- what gorgeous scenery and those quilts! Have a wonderful rest of your trip, but please return home soon. I got some birthday money that's burning a hole in my pocket and I want to spend it at your shop!:-)

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

Life is good! Thank you for sharing all your wonder snap shots of your vacation! My best childhood memories are of vacation! I see them in my mind to this day as I'm sure your children will! Congrats on grandmas retirement from Mayo! What a wonderful career! Enjoy your vacation!
Michelle-

Heather said...

We enjoyed having you visit us! Wink wink on the "cooking" you lunch! Love your photos. You may have to send me high res versions of all those you emailed me!

Malin de Koning said...

I have just been on a great trip in the USA. Without actually being there. This was a great post. Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! It feels so good to get away, to not have to stress about work and just enjoy my family. I have been catching up on some reading and also my family blog/pics which feels good.

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails