It was not a beady weekend for me. I didn't once sit at the torch. I spent time with my honeys.
I spent time with friends. I made these oh-so-incredibly-delicious chimichangas to share with our friends! We laughed a TON.
I spent an afternoon with my friend Tabitha wandering around downtown with our cameras. We first went to Oakland Cemetery, where Margaret Mitchell is buried (as well as other prominent Atlantans like Maynard Jackson and Ivan Allen Jr.). The cemetery is massive and filled with mausoleums, memorials and statues dating back into the 1800s.
There were hundreds of markers for Confederate soldiers.
There were many headless statues and plenty like this one that were also missing limbs. Made me wonder what happened to them.
Gates like this were used in the entrance of many of the mausoleums.
Brick foot paths led us throughout the cemetery. These paths had street names, although cars were not allowed to drive on them.
Many of the angels were pointing up. Tabitha and I discussed their pointing and decided we were happy they weren't pointing down.
Benches were placed throughout the entire cemetery. All different kinds. Not all were in such disrepair.
These faucets were also found everywhere, although I was unable to turn any of them. I imagine they were originally used to water the flowers brought to the graves, but that is just a guess.
I liked this statue.
And this one, too.
There were wonderfully tall, chiseled crosses.
Hi!
Many of the mausoleums had stained glass opposite the entrance.
This one was my favorite statue.
Then we went to Little Five Points, which is known for being an interesting people watching location. I liked this fenced off mosaic.
A violinist and his friend played a guitar non-stop. The guitarist was barefoot, although I got the feeling it went along with a hippy mentality and not that he didn't have the $$ to afford shoes.
We saw the Vortex, which has the most delicious hamburgers ever.
Amen!
And lastly, we came to Junkman's Daughter, which is a 10,000 square foot thrift store filled with crazy clothes and costumes. Any place that has a spaceship flown into their sign is bound to not sell anything close to normal.
This weekend, my Maggie boxer sported a golf ball size growth on her cheek. The vet treated it as a bee sting on Saturday, but said to bring her back for a dental if it didn't subside. It didn't subside; instead it grew larger. So she is in for surgery now to remove this large growth or abscess.
My 91 year old Grandma is also in for a little surgery to install a brand new stent or two in her kidneys. Hoping that gets her blood pressure under control. Finally.
As I was driving Maggie to the vet's office early this morning, I passed a couple walking on the sidewalk. I didn't know them, but was delighted by a very spontaneous wave and big smile from each of them. They were an Asian couple, likely in their 60s. They don't know it, but they made my day.
How was your weekend? Do anything exciting?


















5 comments:
Those are the coolest places ever! Love the junk shop and the diner. Not very appetizing, but fun! Esp. love your photos of the angels, those would be awesome in grainy black and white, all close up.
Funny that you were at a cemetery - I was in Lily Dale, NY, which is a community of mediums. I spent the weekend attending readings and lectures on the spirit world. I didn't receive any personal messages from the spirit world, but it was a very peaceful weekend. Hmmmm, interesting that we were both hanging out with the dead, huh?
it's interesting how we have many of the same photos, yet different perspectives on them. amazing how everyone 'sees' in their own way :) love your set!! and i really loved the company :D
p.s. how the heck did you get these up so fast? *jealous*
Your photography is utterly amazing. I feel a weird affinity towards cemeteries. Always wanted to go the ones in New Orleans and the Highgate Cemetary in England.
look what happened... i kinda got stuck here... every time i go to leave, something else catches my eye and i nose around a bit. fabulous photos and i love the peace sign... i didn't realize (atlanta?) is so interesting... i hail from NE of you in a small east tn town... i've only been to the most 'important' places in atlanta... like the airport and the american girl bistro. ;o
Post a Comment