Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Weekend

It was a good weekend.  The kids had soccer games Saturday morning.  Owen did great and Chloe, well Chloe mostly played in the dirt.  On the field.  While the game went on around her.  The coaches promise it is the age group and she will grow out of it.  

Temperatures were a little lower yesterday with overcast skies.  I hit a bird while I was driving.  Sniff.  All I saw was feathers in the rear view mirror.  It made me feel bad.  I slowed down as much as I could, but there were cars behind me so I couldn't hit the brakes hard as I saw her flying in front of my car.  I spent the majority of the day cooking while the kids played outside or helped Todd wash his car.  
 

My Mom and Grandma came over for dinner, as did Todd's sister.  Our dinner table was filled with family, laughter and good food.  There was a lot of story telling going on as we recalled family histories, many involving events where one of us had had the snot scared out of ourselves like this.  Funny the things that get us giggling.

I made my mashed sweet potatoes, a meatloaf using crushed gluten-free crackers instead of oatmeal (my mom was just diagnosed with celiac disease, so gluten is now a no-no), stuffed shells which were the BOMB, asparagus salad which was also very delicious and this raspberry jello salad for dessert.

These are all recipes from Thy Hand Hath Provided blog that my mouth has been watering to try for weeks.  They were so delicious and I know I will be adding them to my book of favorite recipes!  Thank you Thy Hand for sharing your recipes on your blog!!!

The kids had fun with two of their grandmas.  They played scrabble together and had a close game.  We wished our other grandmas could have been with us to celebrate Mother's Day, but Minnesota is a long hike from us.

The weekend was so jam packed with family that I didn't get any time on the torch.  And it's not going to happen tonight, either.  Tonight is the last night Todd will be home for the rest of the week.  Tomorrow he is flying out to Washington DC for work.  When he returns, he will be leaving the same day for a tennis state championship.  The house will be quiet and empty without him.  I hate when he travels.  But while he is gone, I will be filling every evening with time on the torch after getting the kids in bed.  I have a bunch of egg orders needing to be filled and they won't get done by themselves.

Here is a pic of some of my beads all grown up, in their new home with Thy Hand.  She found this birds' nest and now has it sitting in her kitchen window sill.   I am still on the hunt for my own abandoned bird nest because I think it will be great for etsy pics and also to keep inside the house to look at when I need a little smile.

I hope you had a great weekend!  I look forward to jumping back on the torch tomorrow night and showing you all pics of the new loot.

7 comments:

Tabitha W. said...

i LOVE the picture of the boy child and grandma. you need to blow that one up, it's such a sweet moment!

sorry about the bird. i haven't hit a bird yet, but i've managed to take out a squirrel and a puppy. you know how much that killed me.

Unknown said...

I agree...that pic of the little guy and grandma needs to be in a frame!!

And I love the pics of the eggs in the nest! Beautiful!

Pearl and Pebble said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend Kelley:) You take such beautiful pictures. I followed your mouse link-thank you for setting that little guy free!Have a great evening!

SummersStudio said...

What a wonderful way to spend Mother's Day, intergenerational! I love seeing your beautiful family together sharing the moment. Especially, that last photo. Beautiful.

Kella said...

So sorry you hit a bird, its not a nice feeling when that happens.

What a great day you all had as a family. We love large family get togethers too, the remembering old funny stories are the best, well alomg with the food ;)

The eggs in the nest are too cute and what a great idea to find an abandon nest, an idea I'll be stealing, becuase there is one in my hedge thats two years old, I'll just go get now.

Well I just came back inside the hedge nest is still intact but I felt positively horrible to remove it (so much work went into making it with its bits of recycled plastic tut!! etc), so I'll have to keep my eye out for a newer one from this year.

anyway keep well enjoy the rest of the week catching up on orders.

Lori P said...

The pictures are fabulous! I love the one of your grandma kissing your son.

Also, my daughter has celiac - since '08. It's not too bad but we're STILL trying to watch the gluten that seems to slip in from only God knows where.

Metallo Bianco Jewelry said...

Great pictures! I too love the one of Owen and gramdma. So adorable. The birds nest is a great idea...the beads look so cute in it! Sounds like you have a lot of torch time coming up...can't wait to see what you make!

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails