It's not always the same person, although my Mom has always been at the top of the list for instilling me with the belief that I can do anything I put my mind to. I have never doubted that and only hope I instill the same strong beliefs in my kids.
But every now and then, or maybe just once a year around the beginning of May I start to wonder. I chide myself for dipping down that bad path, but it seems I always have one friend who pulls me out. Knowingly or not-so-knowingly. Last week was a rough week for me, although I tried hard to hide it. There were silent tears and the wish for time to pass a little more quickly. Time didn't pass any more quickly than normal, but I had a couple of cheerleaders come to my rescue.
One of whom was Mallory. I have known Mallory online through twitter, blogs, etsy and facebook for well over a year now. Through her tweets and blog, I know this woman treasures her dog Pixie and cherishes time with her grown children. She always has something nice to say and ends the week with Three Beautiful Things posts. (Yes, I'm the nerd who wrote an email to a local radio station in Atlanta when they started up about ten years ago and complained of nothing but bad news and asked them if really was so difficult to report on something good....so they started up Good News Fridays and found enough good news stories to fill up a whole three minute segment on Friday mornings. They have since discontinued that practice, but that's ok because I rarely hear the radio now with a 2mile commute taking the kids to school each day.) I had the pleasure of meeting Mallory in February when she flew down to Atlanta to take a lampworking class. She was every bit as nice and kind in person as I had come to know her online. And everyone in our local glass society said the same....."Oh, that Mallory. She's so niiiiiice." And it was true.
Anyway, let me find my point for you. I was feeling crummy and Mallory really helped turn my attitude around. She reminded me of a few important things in private convos and wrote THIS incredibly kind blog post Saturday morning. Being acknowledged by a peer is so validating. They can truly understand the difficulties or complexities of what you face, and appreciate your efforts so much more than someone who has never been in the same boat.
Thank you Mallory for being my cheerleader, right when I needed a pick-me-up! Your timing could not have been any better. :)
Please go take a look at Mallory's blog and etsy shop. She is a kind soul with a good spirit. I have enjoyed watching her try new things and experiment with so many different lampworking techniques. Her enthusiasm for life really shows in her work...she chooses bright colors and creates fun designs in jewelry and beads. I love that her shop covers every part of lampworking, from selling her beads to jewelry designers to jewelry for those who want unique, one-of-a-kind items to glass supplies for other lampworkers. She has it all!
My favorite is this modern day Red Riding Hood!
Go take a look in her shop and come back and tell me what is your favorite item?

6 comments:
What a nice cheerleader post from Mallory! You're right, it's so important to have that person who is totally in your corner...my father in law was mine, losing him to cancer last year left a much bigger gap than I could have imagined.
This is a great post. Thanks for sharing with us.
Nicole/Beadwright
You are a sweetie, Kelley! Thank you for this wonderful blog! I appreciate your kindness. I'm glad I could help you. You are an amazing person! Take care of yourself! I'm glad to be the northern most member of the Southern Flames--Yah, You bettcha', ya'll!
How nice. I love it when you can actually meet a cyber friend in person.
And also that you can connect with someone from so far away who really gets you.
And I am wishing you sunnier days ahead, Miss Kelley!
Enjoy the day!
Erin
Good friends are hard to find but when you do they sure do show the worth of having a good friend or two.
Babe - great blog. It really touched my mom heart and made me remember back when you were my little girl and I was always there to kiss the hurt. Love, Mom
Post a Comment