I love these little blue beads. They are not that exciting when they are being made. The blue glass starts off as a very dark, transparent blue. Almost so dark that it appears black. Then I crank up the fuel for a big, yellow flame and it turns the little black beads into beads with oil slick, metallic appearances. See that little bebe bead hidden in there towards the left? That's the size of the bead before I start wrapping clear around it to make the final bead. That's also the same metallic finish it has when I start melting clear on top. And that's when the metallic, oil slick turns into these dreamy blues.

More raku eggs. I just love the creamy-ness of these little beads!

And some rosy, gold eggs. Depending upon the angle and the light, they can look very pinkish rose or more amber, gold.

I will try to get all of these into my Etsy shop later today.
on a side note, I saw on my tracking information that my surprise beads are officially in the tundra as of last night. I am hoping they will be delivered today. if they are, the recipient better be in the office today! :)
More raku eggs. I just love the creamy-ness of these little beads!
And some rosy, gold eggs. Depending upon the angle and the light, they can look very pinkish rose or more amber, gold.
I will try to get all of these into my Etsy shop later today.
on a side note, I saw on my tracking information that my surprise beads are officially in the tundra as of last night. I am hoping they will be delivered today. if they are, the recipient better be in the office today! :)
7 comments:
What a fantastic blue. It is so interesting how they start out one colour and then become another. My glazes are a bit like that too. Makes it fun to open a kiln! Those last ones remind me of those cinnamon hard candies. Yum.
They are gorgeous, I especially love the blue one. Are they raku too ?
Wow! The blues in those beads are sooooo beautiful. And I love the raku! Love em all:)
Great job encasing Kelley.
All the beads are great but I especially love the blue...which is a favorite color of mine!
Cheers
LeAnn, I think you probably get bigger surprises out of your kiln with more drastic color changes. Most of the time I know what goes in will come out pretty much the same. Most of the time :)
Thanks Veronique! The blue beads were made with Double Helix Triton glass, which has a very high silver content. But only the beads in the middle were made with raku. They both turn into different colors when the flame is adjusted or they are heated, cooled and reheated. Fun to see it happen!
Thanks P&P! I have more beads ready for you; crossing my fingers for sun tomorrow so I can take pics.
Awww, I love compliments from Anne. Your beads are always so gorgeous and I truly admire your work.
Heather, I named the blues after you :)
All of these beads are now listed in my Etsy shop!
Very nice indeed, I love the raku ones. I stumbled into your blog and think it's lovely.
Post a Comment