Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Letting Go & Moving Forward

These past two months have been filled not necessarily with an inner turmoil, or even a deep sadness, but a slow coming to terms with saying goodbye to old hopes and dreams and moving forward to new goals. Since the time I knew Todd was the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with (and that was very early on in our dating timeline) and I knew I wanted to have kids, that number was always three. Three kids. A very different dynamic than the only childhood that was my experience growing up.



Todd happily agreed to two and while he said he was open to discussion for a third, I've always known he was really just humoring me. Todd was one of two kids and with us having both a boy and a girl, I know he was more than happy. He teases that I don't want him to ever retire when I talk about a third and when the kids are being misfits, he is quick to jump on the opportunity of my extreme frustration to ask "So you really want another?" But the farther we have moved from the stage of diapers combined with my increasing love for playing with fire and my decreasing motivation to get yelled at on a daily basis with my real job, my wants and desires have shifted.



Our kids are 4 and 6 years old now. We are well past the sleepless nights of feedings, diaper changes and sore boobs from nursing. I also miscarried once before getting pregnant with each of them and not sure I really want to go through that again. So now that I've gotten over the past, I'm beginning to look forward. Financially, we are moving into a much more comfortable position. Getting Owen out of daycare last year helped tremendously. Moving Chloe into the state funded Pre-K program this fall will be another bonus. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to melt glass all morning/early afternoon and then be able to meet the kids at the bus stop to help them with homework and play the rest of the day. To not rush through making dinner to have enough time for baths & story time before throwing them in bed would be so wonderful. I wonder....what would it be like to not rush through every evening?



All of this has been going through my head over the past few months, but the decision to move forward with our two kids and no new additions felt really permanent when I gave my good friend Wendy the kids crib, all their bottles and other baby paraphernalia, as well as all of my maternity clothes that have been stored safely in the top of my closet. I was absolutely thrilled to be able to pass along so many things that I held close for so long, that have wonderfully good memories to someone that I care about and who's friendship I highly value. Much easier than hauling these things out to the driveway to sell to complete strangers in a yard sale or dropping off at Goodwill. But still difficult giving up old hopes & dreams to make way for the new.



And to add insult to injury, I am coming to the realization that I need reading glasses. I never had problems with seeing up close until I had lasik surgery two years ago. I wouldn't change that. Lord knows not a day has gone by that I don't give thanks for being able to see beyond my nose without glasses or contacts. But my near-vision has slowly deteriorate, but changed significantly within this past week. I go cross-eyed trying to focus clearly on what is right in front of me. Today, my lovely husband handed over a pair of his reading glasses to me and welcomed me to his world. Sigh.


13 comments:

Unknown said...

And yes, Owen has a second gap in his grin. He lost a bottom tooth while eating an apple the day after pulling out that top tooth!

Lorelei Eurto said...

hi love
don't worry, I'm in the same boat with vision issues lately. don't let it get ya down.
you could totally pull off that whole naughty library thing with the glasses. Todd might like that!!

Lorelei Eurto said...

i mean librarian. geez. you know what i meant

Unknown said...

I just recently went through deciding whether or not to have a second and it was difficult yet not....I just had to think back for a second to the diapering, sore boobs, and delirium. My tubes are now tied LOL I also got my first set of glasses last year....but I need them for more than reading so I'm stuck with the damn things on my face all of the time. Lorelei is right...you could totally pull off the naughty librarian LOL

rosebud101 said...

Acceptance is almost there. Be cool. Breathe. All will be fine.

Unknown said...

thanks Mallory. it's still not here, but it is getting closer. almost within reach. I hope :)

Sarah, it is such a tough decision, although we really made it well over a year ago. giving up all the baby/maternity stuff brought all these emotions to the surface and made me realize that I hadn't fully dealt with everything. Or perhaps giving it all away just made it feel that much more permanent, like no turning back now (not like we couldn't buy all new things again, which Wendy is strongly encouraging because she's the devil on my right shoulder....Ooops, I got pregnant. I guess my IUD just fell out....Three months ago....At my annual check-up...."

L - after being in glasses/contacts for two decades for nearsightedness & being free of them for two years, going back to wearing glasses again isn't a terrible thing just for reading. but it is frustrating going cross-eyed trying to focus on things close up. funny that you & Sarah are encouraging the naughty librarian! LOL

How Charming by Michelle - Jewelry Design said...

I'm having the baby blues myself. Waited too long and now feeling regrets. My boys are 16 and 12. I am 37. I know it's still "possible" but it would be starting over from the beginning and my hubby doesn't want that! my loss...

Unknown said...

Regrets stink, don't they Michelle? I would say I'm 99% certain this is the right decision, but a small part of me wonders...is it really? am I going to regret this later in life? because at some point it really will be too late.

I wish that I were as certain as Todd, but then he's 44 and that is a big factor for him. he wants to retire before he's 85, as well as still feel young enough to play with our grandkids when they are growing up.

Metallo Bianco Jewelry said...

I think it is just at this age we start to compare what is, with what we always thought/hoped life would be like. With all big decisions we question ourselves non stop...and I think with time you will soon sit back with relief and say, "yes, I made the right decision". Your dreams of days filled with melting glass are well on their way! Hang in there Kel!

Unknown said...

Thanks Cas. I'm sitting on my hands waiting for those days to come!

Unknown said...

hi Kelly.... really enjoyed this post...
they will grow up so fast... but those 18 years why they are just about kill us.. :)
have a great week .. and happy torch'n
mona & the girls

Unknown said...

oh wait ... they need us longer than that...
:):):):):):):)..... those are the hardest years though....

Unknown said...

Thanks Mona. This past 6 years since we first became parents has really flown by. I'm sure the next 6 and 12 will fly by equally fast. Or perhaps even faster.

It seems I have many friends and some family who have kids flying the coop and they swear it was just yesterday when they became parents.

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails