Something to Ponder

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

!NEXT SHOP UPDATE!

more beads coming in November. and there will be eggs!

Monday, August 2, 2010

How To on Blog Comments and Getting Replies

Did you know that many bloggers would reply individually to you via email if your address showed up in the comment notification email?  They would.  Or, they should.  Some times.  Whatever.  

Most of us who blog LOVE to get comments.  It's nice reinforcement that other people get us.  They dig our work or our words.  Or that there are even people out there reading our blogs.  Some times I used to feel like there were always crickets chirping in the background.  Now I feel the love, but it took time to grow my blog.  To establish the relationships.  For you all to get to know me.  I understand.  I'm not the coolest blogger out there and some times my blog does wander from beads to family/kids and I get that there are some of you who are not at all interested in kids.  You're all about the beads  (or the vacations, as it seems).  And I'm ok with that.  Seriously.  

Look at all these comments next to each post?  I get butterflies.  You guys make my heart sing.  You really do.

So in case you're interested in getting email replies directly from the blog writer, this is what you need to do.  If you go to your profile page (you should be able to get there from your Dashboard once you login to Blogger), you can click on that blue EDIT PROFILE button over on the top left.

Then you can just click that little box next to: Show my email address.  Scroll down and click the Save Settings button.  That's it.  Now your email address will be in the Sender field to the blog owner of where you left your comment.

This post has been in the back of my mind for quite awhile because I would love to respond to emails if /when I receive comments.  I can't get on my blog during the day (cause I'm workin to pay the bills) and then I don't always remember to go back at night to my posts and reply back to the comments.  You'd think I would remember, since it is normally in the evenings when I am setting up my post for the next day.  Sleep deprivation shows itself in different ways.  But to those of you who have felt neglected, please accept my apologies for my slackness.  I do love hearing from you.

I got nudged into doing this after reading a few other blogs that struck true for me and reminded me of basic courtesy, why some of us blog and then our duty as bloggers to respond.  If you take the time to comment, we really should be taking the time to acknowledge.  Lori Anderson of Pretty Things discussed kindness here.  Nicki hits the nail on the head here for describing the feelings of worthiness that comments generate and discerning the difference between true blog followers and those that followed just to jump through a giveaway hoop.  And Barbara eloquently covers blogging responsibilities and the motivation behind blogging here. 

Last night I alluded to a giveaway coming soon for one of my lucky blog followers.  That goes along with the above reasoning that I want to surprise one of my loyal followers or friends who comes to my blog on a regular basis.  While it IS good publicity to get a giveaway out on twitter and it DOES generate gobs of traffic to the blog, it doesn't necessarily bring the people who share common interests or would want to be friends with me.  Who are genuinely interested in what I have to say or the processes I go through to make the beads.  That can be good for generating traffic to my etsy shop and possibly lead to sales and the original purpose of my blog was to promote my beads business.  

But my purpose has shifted and what I have come to realize over this last year of blogging is that the friendships I have gained from my blog are more meaningful to me than the bead sales.  The feedback and comments you leave for me are what continue to inspire and motivate me.  I have met some of you in person at bead shows (from Atlanta to Philadelphia) and others live practically in my backyard, like Lori Plyler of Waterstone.  Others have become personal friends who I keep up with through instant messages, texts and phone calls.  How awesome is that?

New egg pics coming tomorrow!

15 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

great post! super helpful!!

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Great post. It's amazing how gratifying comments are. They don't have to be lengthy or full of praise. Just a couple simple words go a long way. It's kind of like the country road raised finger (not THAT finger). When you raise your pointer finger off the steering wheel to "wave" to the passing car or truck. It's like, "Hey, I acknowledge that I see you". We all like being acknowledged:-).

Consider yourself acknowledged (and then some:-)).

Tabitha W. said...

"Others have become personal friends who I keep up with through instant messages, texts and phone calls. How awesome is that?"

i think it's pretty damned awesome ;)

Lori P said...

It's incredibly awesome. I couldn't agree more. Nice post. Funny how everyone seems to be thinking the same thoughts lately.

Higgins Design Studio said...

Funny you should post this... I changed my setting to include the email just a couple of weeks ago... and just this morning, while trying to respond to someone who is entering my giveaway, I sent it to the wrong Nancy... her email didn't show...
I love your blog for all of it... the glass, the kids, the animals & flowers, and yes, the vacation too... I think you are an amazing artist and I am glad I found your blog, I look for new posts every time I sign in...
Cindy

Erin Siegel said...

Great post and well said!

Karyn said...

I have to admit that I love seeing comments on my blog too and worry when a post doesn't receive any comments...like an entry I recently posted about attending a particular art exhibition... it had some nudity which wasn't "too'' obvious by the pics but as I got no comments I worried that maybe I offended a few people... so sometimes no comments makes you question your post.

Anyhooo I guess what I am trying to say is I love your blog and I love comments too!

Karyn

Mellisa said...

...and some people come for the Little Horse pics ;)

(I read all your posts and love the beads but LH gets me to get off my lazy keyboard and comment!)
All kidding aside, wonderful post!

Unknown said...

Yessirreebob, it is most incredibly awesomely fantastic to have so many of you turn into true friends from complete strangers behind other blogs!

Mellisa, I thought about making a tongue-in-cheek Little Horse comment to you in this post, but wasn't going to single you out and didn't want to come across as picking on you. I just shaved him again and because I got a little 'help' from the girl child, he is quite a sight. I have been meaning to take pics to share with you on here. Perhaps this week I can work that in :)

Thanks everyone for all of your comments on here!

Unknown said...

Hi Kelley,

I am a regular reader of your blog and I love your beads and I really like what you said about posting giveaways to get more traffic for your blog. When I originally started blogging I wanted it to be about all of the things that interested me but mostly my focus has been about books and giveaways. At first I started by trying to get all kinds of followers but now I want to focus on getting followers who are interested in what I am doing. I loved your post about you and Lorelei I am a big fan of the both of you and I look at the things you have both done and find it very inspiring. Thanks and keep up the great work. I look forward to reading more and I can't wait for you to get caught up with your eggs so that maybe I can order some for myself.

Tara P. said...

I just finished reading this post and I also read all of the ones you linked to. It seems like everyone is thinking the same thing right now. I appreciate that everyone is willing to give some tips about getting blog traffic, etc. As for me, I have a hard time letting go of my "lurking" habit. Usually, it's because I don't feel like I have anything interesting to say and I don't want to leave just an "I was here" comment. Maybe I should, though? A good number of my current real life friends are people I've found through social media - I used to be really involved in the local "foodie" community, but being short of cash after being laid off twice in 1 year have put a bit of a dent in that. Before I started my blog, I tried to decide why I wanted to do it. I'm not selling my jewelry right now, but I think I did it because I am so new to making it that I need lots of advice and I think the best way to get it is to ask for it!

Barbara said...

That is VERY helpful! I'm trying to figure out how to organize my blogs better and figure all this out in a better and more organized way!

Mellisa said...

K,
Oh when I read your post I thought "hmmm she didn't mention the person who only comments on pup pictures" You're right that there would have been no question it's me :)

I really do have trouble leaving comments when I don't have something to add to the conversation- always feel like "love it, great work, gorgeous" is such fluff compared to some of the deep comments left by others. (you've seen my blog, you know I'm not the deep, inspiring artistic blogger type!) Hmmm, I feel a blog post coming on now...

Nicki said...

Hi Kelley, I am absolutely with you. Comments are important. If we just wanted to have a discussion with ourselves, we would probably keep our "diaries" in the old-fashioned paper books in our shelves at home, right? Thanks for your thoughts.

Shai Williams said...

Thank you so much for this post. I had already done everything by accident but it is so great to be able to check myself.

I Just HAD to Share This!

Related Posts with Thumbnails